Cultivated Reef

It figures- Help!

jdiver

I went to my lfs store yesterday to get some (ridiculously expensive) live rock from their coral display tank, so I could get some hitchhikers. I got a few small pieces that have some snails, mini-hermit crabs, and copepods. I am right now looking at a hole on one piece that has a bristle worm crawling out of it. It is dark red/orange in color and about 1/8" wide. I can't tell how long he is, but right now there is about 2" of it out of the hole. Should I grab it with tweezers or pliers to get it out, or not worry about it?

Now it is completely out of the hole and is about 3" in length. I could snag it easily, if that's what I should do. (I've read many varying reports about these critters.)

Thanks for the reply Asterix. I guess at 3" then this one makes the > 5" cut. It isn't exactly an attractive little thing!

I swear I used to have about 4 bristle Worms per Square inch in my sand bed...They wont mess with anything...The more the better...I had thousands of them, I like them

Well, even though it isn't exactly attractive, it is still fun to see something moving in my tank. Some people say that bristle worms are very bad, and others, such as yourself say they are harmless. I will go with the opinion that they are harmless, and even beneficial. Thanks again.

Oh yhea, One more thing, If you have 1 there are 100 you dont see...Take a small piece of fish flesh or shrimp...some kind of meet and set it on the live rock...Now sit back and watch!!! You will most likely see a circus of different critters come out...After you are done watching them, take the bait out of the tank and toss it so it doesnt pollute the water...You will see things you never new exsisted...and some rocks tend to have more critters than others, Keep fishing around to see what you have...

I got quite a few of those.

From what I read; most poeple consider these critters to be harmless.  They are detritus eaters and dont hurt your beneficial critters.

I got one that is about 4 inches...man does he looks strange...

I am begining to see a few more baby ones as well.

Archived