Pod Your Reef

My tank is crashing =(

Asterix

Well, It finally happened… I didn’t think it ever would because I never do anything to hurt my animals…But somehow all my pumps failed (I was sabotaged by something) which killed one fish…which killed another…. And turned my water milky (This is the best theory I have All water parameters were fine…Had two LFS test my water to)…which killed pods and shrimps and starfish corals and stuff I didn’t even know I had…I spent all day yesterday trying to save what was left…I went to the LFS and bought tons of premixed RO water and good carbon…Some ammonia reducing chemicals…Right now its about a %50 Loss of inhabitants…Yesterday was not good at all…I must have shocked myself atleast 5 times…My girlfriend canceled her plans to help me…It was a mess, I hope this never happens to any of you! I had to bury some friends of mine (Yes, They were my friends…My fish friends) You have to be very careful with this stuff…The smallest thing can kill everything…

So sorry to hear about that.

Thats so bad.  Was there an electricity cut?

How did all the pumps manage to stop?

Hope things get better as soon as possible.

You know what, that is what I dread the most. yesterday all of a sudden my filter stopped. I know that may not seem like mch cause I got my live rock in there, but whos to tell if the heater goes out or the light , etc..

I feel your pain Asterix. I hope you can find out the cause and help other fellow nano reefers no go through the same pain and suffering you went through.

I think i want a UPS system

Well, The thing is, At night I turn off some of the pumps to slow the water down because resting fish appreciate slower movement...Well...The pumps that were saposed to stay on didnt.... I was away from the tank for 12 hours due to my weekend sleep schedule.... when I arose the next morning I was horrified! So many things messed up at once... I was just very unlucky...To have a protein skimmer and two filters fail (Thats what I leave on at night...I turn off the powerheads)

........I found the cause of failure of all 3 things...ALL failed for completely different reasons....(and weird reasons) I feel like someone did it on porpose...Listen to this..... On AC 300 filter, there was a pin sized hole in the J tube! Now how does a hole get there overnight? The next filter was messed up because some Filter floss got caught up in the impeller..... Then, somehow a extension cord got unplugged that powered the protein skimmer...Im thinking it was the cat on that one....Then the one fish died...then another...then the critters...Chain reaction...There was no power failure! Only 3 freak accidents which led to one big one :(

controlling an environtment for a nano can get tricky...

you have to be extra careful....if 1 inhabitants die...theres always a posibility that it will take out the rest....

thats what worries me in keeping a nano..the part where things go wrong....even if you do everything right...all money spent "GONE" just for one lil flaw :(

so im working on getting a 175 gallon bowfront....for a more stable tank ;)

Yeah i ve had a equipment fail 2 my auto top off  put 5 fgallons of fresh water into a tank. ANother thing about the milkly water .... It could been soap on your hands or lotion make sure your hands are clean CAuse ive also had that happen 2 me . Though in the end never give up and it will be all good

the other day we had a power outage for about 6 hours and nothing at all happened other than a snail started to die. i was away for the night and when i cam back the snail was just about dead but no tall the way yet. i took it out and did a water change and everything was fine...i got lucky this time. i think im going to buy a battery backup for some of my pumps and filters.

Dang, sorry to hear about the tank crash. That is one of the reasons why I have not ventured into saltwater tanks until now with the nano reef. We seem to have a lot of power outages here, and I know how catastrophic losing power for even a few hours can be for a reef tank. I hope you are able to get everything back in order with the tank soon.

Archived