Cultivated Reef

New Pico Plans

Brian da lion

Brian da lion

Hey all, i have decided to create a new pico reef

for my desk at home, as I miss my old one from before the nanocube. Here are the plans, feel free to make comments and/or suggestions, any are welcome. When making them however, please keep in ind that I would prefer this tank to be viewable from both sides.

Setup:

Aqavase "Melody" tank, app. 3 gallons

Aquaclear mini power filter

Satellite or odessea 18w pc fixture (cant go wrong for $20)

7w mini aquarium heater

Sand and rock from my main tank

I would like to keep this simple, and would prefer the light to be 18w or below. I want this tank to be a polyp reef, restricted to mushrooms, zoos, anthelia, and the like, maybe with a pair of peppermint shrimp or something. Lastly, and this is probably a stupid question, but would it be at all possible to keep a pipefish in a 3 gallon tank if I was consistant with feeedings? Thanks for your time.

sounds like a plan!

Except, I wouldn't keep pepermint shrimps especially with softies.

"Peps are EVIL!" If you want go for sexy shrimps.

I would be worried about the actual size of the pipe fish if not the feeding which could be hard. mine is about 3" and is constantly hunting in the tnak for food

Brian da lion

Thanks for the quick responses! What I think I'll do is put the aquaclear on one side of the tank, then have one side of the light rest on it, and use something to hold up the fixture on the other side, would that work without melting the filter? Phergus, thanks for the info, I think I'll avoid the pipefishes for now.

Brian da lion

Still considering my options. Maybe a small pipefish like a dwarf, not sure. Maybe a planted pico would be cool. Does anyome know the dimensions of an aquaclear 20 and 30?

Archived