Innovative Marine Aquariums

bangii cardinals?

scubasteve

I have tried this in the fish care forum but aparently no one really goes there. How do you tell the diffence between male and female bangii cardinals?

-scubasteve

• 7 months later...
vanillabox

kind of an old post, but from what I have read, you can usually tell them males by the longer jaw bone, and a longer standard on one of the dorsel fins.

That's really a myth There is no for sure way.

AFTER a brood or two the males jawbone widens slightly but even then its hard as heck to tell em apart. I have a theory that has worked for me twice now (out of two tries) The female's nose spot is more bell shaped and the males is more flying saucer shaped. but that may just be luck. I have reared 4 batches of baby bangaii's now and I really cant tell em apart with any certainty. I asked Dr. Frank Marini about this very same topic some time ago on RC and he cant tell with with any real acuracy either nor could anyone who chimed in :) there aren't any Bangaii specific breeding books out yet but Dr. Frank is in the process of getting one to print.

Good Luck,

Toy

By the way,

Getting a mating pair of bangaii's is ALOT of work! Mine usually take a five or six day break between batches so you gotta raise babies about every month, and if/when they overlap, it gets really tough to make sure everyone is happy. I'm always bubbling batches of BBS and cutting prepared foods to the right size for each batch.

At least 1 hour a week just to feed the Babies.

GL,

Toy

Archived