Cultivated Reef

2.5G @ 4weeks... MONSTER red shrooms!

Wilson & Co

Wilson & Co

Hi all,

This seems to be the place where I'll settle down for my reef information.

Anyway, here are a few pics of my now 4 week new tank.

Setup:

2.5G AGA

AC 20

Coralife 2x18w 12" aluminum hood

1.024 sal.

78-82* (due to light sitting too close)

380~400ppm Ca

8.3pH

Contents:

large Duster

Red mushroom -- Large and in charge!

GSP's

bristle worm (let him have fun for now)

~ 5 lbs LR

other greenish shroom??

Now some pics:

cycling

Wilson & Co

and here it is how it sits on my kitchen counter for now :-)

still need to arrange my rock, build a shelve for it in my home office, etc.. This setup arrangment is temporary !

What do you think?

Wilson & Co

What is the red mushroom exactly? I bought them @ That fish place and they have doubled in size. The biggest 2 are almost 4" in diameter!

Funky_Fish14

Looks good! How about some shots of the GSP?

Maybe throw your filter on the back and put a black background, and figure out how to mount the canopy better. I like the simple small amount of stuff.

The shrooms are probably just regular shrooms that grow a little bigger I dunno lol. Nice ones though!

Chris

As big as those mushrooms are getting, one night they are going to climb out of the tank and wake you up, demanding a bigger tank! :P

Funky_Fish14

I think we know that mushrooms are soft corals, im pretty sure he is asking what type of mushrooms they are due to their size.

Also, I said "figure out how to mount the canopy better".........I have an aquaclear 200 on my 2.5g and I have a 20W PC fixture over it........hes got that clear acrylic thing and it looks like he could easily set it up so that it hold the light up. He doesnt have to rest the light on the filter.

Chris

Wilson & Co
Originally posted by Funky_Fish14

I think we know that mushrooms are soft corals, im pretty sure he is asking what type of mushrooms they are due to their size.

Also, I said "figure out how to mount the canopy better".........I have an aquaclear 200 on my 2.5g and I have a 20W PC fixture over it........hes got that clear acrylic thing and it looks like he could easily set it up so that it hold the light up. He doesnt have to rest the light on the filter.

Chris

Hey thanks for the kind words.

Yes, I made the acrylic cover when I was running the coralife mini might (2x9w bulbs), but this light is so much hotter I just have it temporarily propped up on the cover and the filter to let some of the heat out.

Once I build my shelf in my office for it I may move the filter to the rear. My thought was getting a nice flow across the length of the tank.

When I bought the mushroom they said it was red pimple mushroom, but I haven't been able to ID it on the net so far...

Also- for you guys with these <5gal tanks,

Is the HO filter enough airation for these little tanks??

Roger

Yea, coral magazine did an issue called nano tanks, did you get the idea from there? Anyway, live rock live sand and some macro algae should keep you tank in check

Archived