Innovative Marine Aquariums

taking the top off of a 24g

DKreefkeepers

DKreefkeepers

Ok, I really consider myself to be a fairly mechanicaly inclined individual, considering that I have built custom trucks, always had gas powered r/c planes, cars, and boats. Also I just enjoy taking stuff apart and messing around with it. Well the top to this nano cube has me stumped.... there is no way that just flipping it up 90 and pulling straight back will release it. The way that the hinge is I dont see any way but to do some cutting on it.... I have the NC24g with moon lights but not the brand spanking new model. If you have any suggestions please tell me becuse I dont want to do any cutting anywhere near my running tank.

TIA

The way I get my hood off is, with the hood closed pull the back towards you. Start on one side by the hinge and then the other. At first it seems that it won't come off, but eventually it gives. I have heard someone say it is like giving the cube a hug.

Bob

The way I take the hood off of my 24g DX is to have the hood raised up to 90 degrees. Then making sure none of the cables are being pinched, work one side out from the hinge and then the other side. It takes some effort but works. I've had mine off 4 times using this method.

Another thread on hood removal.

DKreefkeepers

ok, I got it off in like 2 minutes after I read bobs way. It scared the crap out of me though, thats the most stress I have put on the tank ever. I didnt understand how it worked untill I got one side off I thought there was one solid pin that went through the hinge instead of one small pin on each side. I sloshed water real bad when I went for the second side, hopefully this will be the last time I do this.

I don't like to do the "hug your cube" thing because of the stress it could put on the glass. With the hood up @ 90 degrees on my DX I can work it out one side then the other and don't have to even touch the glass.

Archived