Top Shelf Aquatics

Rio Pump problems

Lemec

Hey, I know back in 2000, that rio's had a real bad reputation for shocking the tanks/electrical burning smells and for the seals breaking on them and then leeching oil or even worse copper into the tanks from the magnetic assembly internally. Does anyone know if they ever fixed that? I want to know if that problem was ever resolved, becasue all my searches keep finding old info and no current "fixed it" type posts. I was going to put a Rio HyperFlow 8HF Powerhead in my 24 gal nano dx, but I am a bit nervous. Any help guys?

never had any problems with my rio brand powerheads/pumps. as long as you maintain them once a month or so you should be fine.

Christopher Pearson

clean out propeller, could run in hot chlorine water (not a lot of chlor)for several hours, then dechlor!! do NOT use soap. if you use calcium, you'd need to clear off the deposit's.

From what I recall, keeping the units clean was never the issue....They just seemed to "blow-up" after 1 to 2 years of use and I wanted to know if the issue had ever been resolved.

As for cleaning my powerheads, I just use white vinegar, let them soak, then scrub them clean with an old tooth brush and old baby bottle nipple cleaner, then run them in the vinegar for a bit and rinse them off...I do this every time my little power sweep powerhead stops on me, and it starts to work properly every time.

Archived