Top Shelf Aquatics

Anemone in Nano????

Genin

Hello,

I was curious if it would be an ok idea to put an anemone, either bulb tip or sabae in my 12g nano cube dx? is the 48w pc enough lighting to sustain the anemone? one of my perculas was already hosting in a sabae at my lfs when i purchased it. the anemone is still there and i am tempted to buy it because my percs seem to be restless in the tank. thanks for the help.

Not a good idea. Do a search on it there are tons of threads stating why its not a good idea to keep an anemone in a small tank(they move) and under 48w of PC lighting(not enough light).

jasonincuritiba

I wouldnt think about putting an anemone in until you have upgraded to metal halide lighing and the tanks been up and running for a year

Try some of the corals a lot of people suggest that clowns like to host with - Torch, Hammer, Hairy Shrooms, Toadstools, Frogspan, etc. MY LFS told me that besides the moving around problems, if an Anemone dies, it expells a LOT of toxins into your small tank that would most likely kill all of your corals.

Currently both of my 2 tank raised percs are "hosting" with my cassette skimmer.

i have a nice size rock of hairy mushrooms in my tank already. they look really nice actually. i have a very small toadstool leather also, but it isn't looking too good. I got it yesterday and it just doesn't seem to be enjoying itself in my tank.

that's funny about your clowns hosting your skimmer.

I call it hosting, it's probably more like "hanging out". My B&W Perc "sleeps" between the cassette skimmer and the glass every night, head pointed towards the bottom of the tank. My Reg Perc "sleeps" just below the skimmer, head pointed towards the bottom of the tank as well. I've got a decent sized Torch in my tank I had originally hoped they would host with, but no luck - though it is my Emerald Crabs second favorite place to "hang out". I'm currently on the lookout for a Yellow Toadstool and a modest sized Shroom, hopefully they'll host with one of those.

I did notice over in the "Fish Forum" that someone mentioned in a Post that sometimes Tank Raised Clowns will never take a host. Apparently they never learn that behavior being tank raised.

from my experiences I would agree with their comment. I have had 2 tank raised percs and they never exhibited hosting behavior at all. I have also had a wild clarkii and this wild perc. both exhibit hosting behavior over random objects. The wild ones are definatley more prone to host do to their instincts from the wild. thanks for the reply.

Archived