Cultivated Reef

All these cracks.........I wonder if

chipmaker

whoever the company is that is making the glass portion is really stress relieveing the glass after its heated and bent to shape.? If not it has one side under compression more than the other side which is under tension, and temperature changes or even a slight bump can offset the stress and induce a crack. I know we had problems with a small radius bend on a corner window where I worked, and replacement after replacement all cracked........no visible signs of a chip from something hitting it or any scratch marks that could induce a crack, yet every corner kept cracking. The manufacturer checked install and it was correct as there wa no pressure points touching the glass only the seal.......They finally gave us a run around and eventually went banakrupt.........called in another glass company and they said they could have one made, and there was no reason it should crack if it was stress relieved (sort of like annealing metal after a hardening or tempering process). They had one made and its still there without a crack years later.........When somehting is bent the outside of the bend is under a tension as the material is stretched, and the inner portion of the bend is under compression, as the material has to go somewhere and it copmpresses to some extent, and this sets up a stress zone. Unless it is all held in place after forming, and reheated to allow it all to equalize, and then cooled odds are its gonna crack. I would not be afraid to bet the company that is making the glass is not going the full degree of annealing the glass after forming it........Just my take on all these weird cracks.....and getting more paranoid on a Nano Cube with every post I read.........

TTU_reefer

One thing i have noticed in my years of offroading is, when a product breaks you hear from the customers whos products break,people dont post "My Nano cube is not cracked!" So yea they are cracking, alot more than normal, but the people whos cubes break are louder than the people whos dont. But i think its alot to due with the increased flow reefers use in the nanos. just the 1-2 high flow power heads used adds a TON of extra pressure to the 1/8inch glass.

Just my buck and a half...

fishybusiness

I was thinking about changing from the stock powerhead on my nano. I was wondering what pump would you suggest. As many know it is the main reason for the temperature spikes.

Blu50Stang
Originally posted by TTU_reefer

One  thing i have noticed is, when a product breaks you hear from the customers whos  products break,people dont post "My Nano cube is not cracked!"

EXACTLY. I believe I've made this point here before. And because everyone has become so worried about their nano cubes cracking, they are more likely to post about every little flaw, contributing to everyones' fears. I, for one, refuse to fear the nano cube. If either of mine cracks, I'll just buy another and start over.

Archived