Top Shelf Aquatics

Questions on going this route with Nano....

chipmaker

First off, I have been lurking for a few days now and enjoyed and have learned a lot from the forum. I am retired but still lack a lot of time, but have kept fish all my life, mainly ornamental fish like Koi and various GF breeds, as well as some tropical setups, but have always wanted to get into SW. I think now is the time.

Couple of day ago I went to the LFS where my wife had bought a fish that died, to get a replacement, and I noticed this neat looking tank setup on the counter........It wa a NC 12g DX.

A few quesitons to the clerk (30+ years in business and very trustworthy to date) about SW setups and then asked about this new fang dangled Nano Cube. His price for just the cube is in line with what I found them selling for online, but he also told me that he routinely sets them up with what he chooses or even the customer, and keeps them in the shop on a counter display area for anywhere from 4 to 5 months before he releases them or puts that setup for sale, and tries to keep 2 or 3 setups all the time to sell. His prices varied from roughly $350 to approx $500 out the door for a setup that has been cycled and stabilized and proven. The higher prices is mainly due to inhabitant seletions and LR choices etc, but usually no more than $500 has been put into any he has sold yet. He had lots of nice pics of setups he already sold.

So what I am asking is, is this a good route to go? He said transporting it is not a problem as usually there is not all that many inhabatants in it, and it can easily be transported by just removing and bottling up all the water but just enough for the inhab in the tank and placing the LR in a tupperware container with removed water, and once at home just reset the LR and refill with removed water.....

Is this practical or adviseable? I read with interest on crack issues, and just now got off the phone with him, and said he has only had one 12 and 2 24 gal cubes come back with a crack, and he has sold a bunch of them already, but a crack would be covered by warranty, but not to be overly concerned.

I really do not have a clue as to prices of fish and other critters, but I feel for the price involved, and his expertise in setting it all up and having it there in his care you will see what your getting and progress would be easy to follow just by stopping by....I know I would learn more doing it myself from scratch, but have a better feeling I could maintain it easier and not be grasping at straws in not doing things as they should be. Usually when disaster strikes its on a holiday or weekend, so I am just eary getting all this stuff and trying to get it sorted out and cycled right. I had this same paranoia when I started with FW fish but its a piece of cake anymore, and I think nothing of it now.

So is this good or bad? Any suggestions greatly appreiated.

That's a good way to start! I did something similar starting out in SW except i bought a nano and my friends gave me live rock/live sand, and water from an established system to start with.

It let me concentrate on learning all the other things required to keeping a successful reef tank :)

One downside to going that route though is that you will be stuck with a "stock" tank and since you're lurking nano-reef.com, it'll only be a matter of time before you'll be modding your tank.

Consider getting a premodded system from nanocustoms.com and buying everything but the tank from their "pre cycled" systems?

welcome to the club. :)

~randy

Sounds like a really good idea chip, but I feel that the best part of this hobby is actually setting UP the tank...almost more than just appreciating the tank itself, but that could be just me.

Setting it up yourself enables you to prompt questions that could help you learn...not only how to set up a tank but also how to maintain it. Understanding the basics is what's going to help--which setting up your own tank (cycling, buying the inhabitants) can do for you.

Also, maybe down the line you want to change inhabitants--or have found other critters/fish that you would like instead of those he chose for you, in a Nano Cube 12...you're very limited to how much bioload you can put in there, I'd really recommend just at least leaving the coral/fish/clean up crew selection to you...if you'd like.

My advice...buy the tank, sand, water and rocks--cycle it yourself and learn about the process...then research about inhabitants and get them yourself :)...good luck and welcome to the Nano Reef world.

dantwenty2

welcome! this sounds like a pretty cool idea. i never had a reef before and i got a NC DX also but i did everything myself. i think it taught me more that i could ever learn in a couple years if it had come pre set up. like you said you had the same concerns when you had a FW tank. it will soon become second nature to you again...

just my .02........... hope it helps...

-dan

I would rather start from the ground up.....cycling the tank, having unexpected critters growing from the live rocks alone is very interesting, and little by little adding livestock, then the mods unless you've read every thread concerning mods and have decided what mod to do. By starting this way you'll be able to get a first hand experience in handling your water parameters. By starting with a complete set-up and not knowing how to handle your water parameters would be a big problem. Unless you make a deal with your LFS that you'll take the whole set-up piece per piece. But in the end, its really up to you.

I agree with Enrique. It really is exciting setting up the tank, adding the sand and rock and just setting back everyday to watch the live critters introduce themselves. Since you are retired and have the time, I think you would enjoy starting from scratch. You yourself will know the whole process and inhabitants of your own tank. I still sit for hours with a magnifying glass and marvel at the new things that just keep popping out..and that was just with the cycling :) In fact, I had so much fun with that process, I started another tank just to experiance the cycle again. Have fun and let us know how you start out and your progress as you go.

steelhealr

Chipmaker....you can do fine with a non-modded tank. The only main change you may have to make is adding another pump for better flow. The lighting that comes with the NC is FINE for supporting a tremendous amount of beautiful coral. You can always upgrade your lighting. Search out some tanks with 'stock lighting'

I made the switch from FW not long ago (I still have my two FW tanks). It was well worth the time and I've always been able to find some way to manage my tank when away. GO FOR IT! SH

Archived