Top Shelf Aquatics

My First Nano-Reef (Picture Included)

mattdog

Well,

Today I did my partial water change.  It was my first one since I've set up my tank.  It was a little sloppy, but all went well for the most part.  The mistake that I made was trying to clean out the HOB filter w/o making a huge mess inside the tank.  Well I avoided that, but I made a huge mess outside the tank.  :(  

Good news is that all my levels are now at zero.  I have a feeling that the little bit of ammonia that I had were from the pods that got sucked into the H.O.B. and had died, and were rotting away.  While I won't depend on this water change to be a credible export of  ammonia, I do feel that it did make a dent in it.  If the ammonia level stays down for a few days, then I will know for sure.

I just wanted to thank everyone that refreshed me on the nitrogen cycle.  While I knew the information provided, that knowledge often times gets overshadowed by the sheer excitement of wanting to get this thing rolling.  I'm like a 10 year old kid again.  My fiancee just looks at me and rolls her eyes when I get excited about telling her all the stuff that I see in the nano and about the chemistry improving, etc.  It's really nice to have a community of people who are sharing the same experiences that I am and shed insight into what was once thought to be impossible (Nano-Reefs).  Without this community (especially) and communities like it, this dream, of having a little piece of the ocean, would never be possible.

I wanna send a special thank you to Chris for setting up this community and all of the good work that he continues to do for all of us.  You are a good man and I think that you will make this world a better place, if you haven't done so already.

Thanks,

Matt

Archived