SaltCritters.com

New Nano Cube..need modification?

Grymatta

Hello all..

I just got a new JBJ Nano cube 12 deluxe.

The instruction manual is kinda short on info..

If I put my heater in one of the compartments..where do I run the power cord through? I dont see any holes for the power cord to run through. Do I need to drill a hole myself?

Also..is the stock pump good enough? Should I buy an additional powerhead to suppliment it? What kind/brand should I get?

Thank you!

Thanks Jimmyk,

I've read through it and it still doesnt answer my question as to how to run the heater power cord through the hood. The guy who wrote that guide didnt say anything about that issue.

I have the 12 gallon model. If anyone knows how to make the heater cord work, please let me know!

thanks

There is a square hole on the left side of the hood that has the pump power cord running through it. I just ran mine through the same hole. There may be a rubber grommet in the hole that you can remove to make room. No need to cut the hood.

Most people seem to use a MiniJet 606 or a MaxiJet 900. I personally use a MaxiJet 900. The stock pump is pretty weak..

ahh ok. I didnt notice the hole on the right..let me check again.

If i use the maxijet 900...should i take out the stock one? or relocate it to the left compartment? is that the only powerhead/pump you have in your tank?

thanks!

Grymatta, forget about using the stock pump....it adds 5 degrees of heat to your tank....i did 3 tests and made it run for an hour on each test, end results were all the same. But you can probably use it behind the grill as a wave maker but you'll need a timer for that. Look for a timer that has 15 seconds or at least 1 minute intervals. That way it wouldnt heat up the tank.....or maybe it still would. Hope this helps.

damn 5 degrees?! I'll get a Maxijet 900 or the MJ one. thanks Enrique!

so..just get one Maxijet 900? I dont need another powerhead right? the 900 puts out 230 gph..well within the 10/gallon rule thats recommended.

Grymatta, have you filled your tank with water yet? Before you do, heres an option, read the thread I posted "strengthening the glass of your NanoCube". I'm not 100% sure of it but if you look at your tank closely, what I posted makes sense. I'm actually did that to my new tank about 2 hours ago....now i'm doing a leak test.

yeah Enrique..just read your post about silicone on the top frame/seals. My tank has no water..its just sitting on its stand right now.

Will add some silicone this weekend..it cant hurt :)

let me know your water test results..

I also placed some styrofoam under the tank...it should be flat on the glass but level with the frame. And with the included styrofoam that holds the tank in the box, use this as a platform and cut of the excess edges. That way the whole bottom part of the tank is supported, not just the frame supporting the glass.

Archived