ReefCleaners.org

Pump in Chamber 1 or Cassette Mod....?

Enrique

Hi everyone, I'm new to the hobby (started on May 4, 2005)and would like some advice from any or all of you. I have a 12DX with stock lighting, 15lbs of LR, 5lbs.LS,1 Maroon Clownfish, a cleaner shrimp, various snails (total of 8), 2 Hermits, 2 Mussels (which I picked up from the ocean shore), and 1 sea cucumber. No corals yet. My tank temps really fly high as ambients here are in the high 80's and sometimes in the low 90's but thats without the AC on. But since I purchased the ICA from Chris (Thank you...such tremendous support), I am able to keep my tank between 78.5 to 79.8, hurrah!!!

Anyway, I was wondering, which mod would be better, the cassette mod or the pump in chamber 1 mod? I was hesitant in putting 2 pumps in my tank due to the temp problems but not anymore thanks to my ICA. But at the moment I am using the cassette mod. But I have 2 pumps ready for the other mod. Micro-Jet 450 and a Mini-Jet 404.

This would probably be more of a personal preference answer but I really would like your opinions and I would probably choose the majority vote. I know most of you have been very successful in your tank set-ups and would like to achieve the same.

Thank you in advance.

I'd stick with the cassette mod. Both mine and my gf's cubes have the cassette mod, a pump in the last chamber, and 2 80gph powerheads facing each other on the sides of the cube. I like the cassette mod because it keeps the surface of the water nice and clear.

stoney waters

You can still do both. Just drill a hole under your cassette mod the same diameter as 1/2" pvc. Then insert a 1" long piece half way through and seal with pcv cement. It is very similar to how the right side is done from the factory.

burtbollinger

I use the cassette mod...

then, I bought a Powersweep and put it inside the tank. Its just easier that way :)

Cassette mod... With the stock lighting you need every bit of light to make it into the tank; No surface scum to block it. If you think you need more flow upgade to a mj606.

I guess the cassette mod wins by a landslide!!! Okay, so i will stick to the cassette and add a pump below the intake grill just as StoneyWaters described. So with my MJ404 and MJ450, i guess theres enough current to make the water turn right? Any more opinions or is it final that the cassette mod wins? Keep em coming. Thanks Guys!!!

Hey guys.,..I'm new to this too.

this is a stupid question..but..what is a ICA? some sorta chiller? Is it expensive? I have a 12 gal dx too but the temps here lately have been in the upper 80s. I'm trying to find cheap ways to cool the tank.

and I was thinking of using the stock pump but adding another powerhead to suppliment it. Is the Powersweep one a good one cause it makes "waves"?

also..where can I find info on the cassette mod i keep hearing about?

what is it? do they still even make cassettes? lol.

i dont understand putting a pump in chamber one at all. when debris goes thru the skimmer it will get immediately get shot back out to the display area. so even though your increasing flow, your really minimizing the effectivness of your back chambers.

isnt the point is to push "filter" water back into the tank.

The ICA is a device which helps lower the temp of your tank....its not exactly a chiller but if you want to lower your temps by 5 degrees, for the price and its capabilities, its the way to go....I purchased my ICA from nanotuners and I've had mine for about two weeks, the best two weeks for my tank so far. You may want to change the stock pump too as it runs quite hot, I tested the temps of the stock pump and it adds about 5 degrees of heat per hour, I tested it 3 times starting with a temp of 80 and each time it rose to 85 after an hour. Most of the guys/girls here use a MJ606 or a Maxijet 600. Its actually your choice. As for the cassette, theres a guy here (NanoBob) who customizes cassette skimmers but what I use is a "Sega-Genesis" game cartridge which I found lying around, its as big as a cassette but half the thickness. Hope this helps.

Embryoguy, I cant understand the pump in chamber 1 too....I was thinking the same...but I guess since the tank is quite clean of debris i guess its okay.....the way I see it, the only thing the sponge can filter is big particles, now unless you've got big particles floating aroung in you tank, pump in chamber 1 would just pump it back out. So far what I do is I turkey baste the substrate and the rocks so the detritus gets stirred and goes directly to my filter but when I do that, I place a piece of polyfilter on the stock sponge and leave it till the water clears then I take out the filter pad and wash it out. Then back to the stock sponge till the next basting.

thanks Enrique. I was reading the nanocustoms website and checked out their ICA unit. So basically, you need to drills some holes and install it yourself in the hood right? Is the installation difficult? does the ICA unit produce waste heat...will it heat up your room? I'm figuring the heat has to go somewhere...

Will also check out the powerheads. So..you only have the one MJ or Maxijet in your tank? thats all you need?

burtbollinger

Not to out someone, BUT, I called someone at Nanocustoms once and explained that I was using a Powersweep in my 24G, the person laughed and said that he too liked Powersweeps...even though that's not popular opinion...now I've heard some bad things about them, but I like mine...I've got a MJ1200 in chamber 3, and I just tuck that PS in the back left corner, shooting parallel to the back wall of the tank. It works well for me.

whats wrong with creating a current with the Powersweep?

So..im trying to understand how the water flows..

the MJ pump will suck water through the 1st compartment and spit it back out throught the 3rd compartment. The additional powersweep or powerhead will spit out water from the 1st compartment?

the second compartment is empty or filled with carbon right?

burtbollinger

no...first off, I think the consensus is that Powersweeps are junk.

you just pop the powersweep inside of the display area of the tank....near the back of the tank, out of the way....and it will move water back and forth, at about 166 gph.

Maybe just put a nice little PH in the display with a Hydor Flo on it....it would do the same thing.

put live rock rubble in your second compartment.

Grymatta, the ICA is easy to install as long as you have a dremel or a cutting tool of some kind. I didnt have a dremel so used a hack saw blade and scratched it till i was able to make a slot for the blade to go through hence cutting it then sanding it with sand paper. There are no included instructions with the ICA I bought but I think the next batches will come with instructions. There is a thread somewhere explaining how it was installed, wiring, and adjustments. Heat does go out of the hood but it isnt that hot to heat up you room. Overall its a good product specially if your ambients are in the high 80's, I should know, my ambients are between 88 and 94.

As for my pumps, I'm using a MJ404 and MJ450 though i'd rather have a MJ606 but I dont want to spend on a pump again, at least not for now...the 404 may be weaker than the MJ606 but since I'm using two pumps, i guess that evens out the water flow issues. And I agree, the powersweep would seem useless unless you put it "in" the tank area but would be a clutter. However, its still your choice on what pump you'd like to use. Before you buy anything, read the various threads so you'll have an idea.

steelhealr

Enrique...I had the same questions as you did. If you try not to think of the back chambers as a one way filtration unit, you will feel more comfortable. I have the stock pump in chamber one with an outflow that goes over the wall and a back into the tank. I have a Maxijet1200 in chamber 3 with a Hydor Flo attachment.

Water enters thru the intake grate and gets pulled down thru your filter media in chamber 1. Media filtered water is ejected back into the tank. LR rubble in chamber 2 is under continual flow by the Maxijet in 3, biologic filtration, and exits via the Hydor Flo, wave circulation. Some detritus is trapped in the LR rubble, which should be gravel vac'd from time to time. Small particulate matter held in suspension is removed with water changes or, for those that do it, with skimming.

It's leap of faith to pull out your sponge. My guru got me to do it and never regretted it. I know it sounds weird, but, my water is crystal clear. Also, with the outflow going back thru a 'bulkheadless' outflow, you can have BOTH the skimmer mod AND the extra pump in one. SH

Steel, yup exactly!!! My water is crystal clear too since I did that mod. That way I can have both, cassette skimmer and 2 pumps. The pump in the left chamber also helps pull water through the polyfilter and stock sponge hence doing a better job in filtering the water. Though I would like to get a HydorFlo but since I have 2 pumps, one (MJ404)running constantly and the other (MJ450) controlled by a timer I skipped the HydorFlo. And I'll probably need a stronger pump for that but I dont want to do purchases for now. Expenses on hobbies like this never stops...Hahaha!

Casette Mod--I tried both...and I still had a good film build up on the surface with a pump in the first chamber.

rbaby,

the key to get the cassette mod. to work is cut down the sides of the cassette so only about 1 inch is above the sides. than you have to adjust the level of the cassette so that the water level is right around the two prongs that stick inside the casseette. only than will it effectively remove the surface scum.

stoney waters
Originally posted by Enrique

Steel, yup exactly!!! My water is crystal clear too since I did that mod. That way I can have both, cassette skimmer and 2 pumps. The pump in the left chamber also helps pull water through the polyfilter and stock sponge hence doing a better job in filtering the water. Though I would like to get a HydorFlo but since I have 2 pumps, one (MJ404)running constantly and the other (MJ450) controlled by a timer I skipped the HydorFlo. And I'll probably need a stronger pump for that but I dont want to do purchases for now. Expenses on hobbies like this never stops...Hahaha!

Enrique

I think that either of your pumps would do fine with a HydorFlo. I ran mine with the stock pump for a while. It worked fine. You shouldn't have to upgrade unless you want more flow.

Stoney, you are very right.....its just very tempting to have a stronger pump otherwise what I have right now is fine. Its more of a compulsive buy. I tend to be like that....its a sickness i think...Hahaha! I've got to have it!!!! No!!! But I must!!! Nah, I'm happy with what I have. Thanks for making me realize that.

stoney waters

I know what you mean. Once you're all done with the upgrades and mods,the corals start to hit the pocketbook.

Archived