inTank Media Baskets

Lighting without actinic?

Smokey Joe

Smokey Joe

Im currently running 2x55w pcs with one 10000k and one actinic bulb.  I have a big problem with surface film that I haven't been able to get rid of by simply increasing surface agitation or with a surface skimmer attachment for my filter (cheap pieces of crap in my opinion).  To remedy it I'm considering an AquaC Remora with the surface skimmer attachment to replace my prizm but in order to make it fit I'd have to get rid of my existing canopy.  I'm considering replacing it with a 10000k 175W metal halide pendant but wouldn't be able to supplement actinic.  Has anyone had experience with just metal halides?

Smokey Joe

It only helps for a couple of days.  I do weekly water changes and run a skimmer, the bioload is low and I still can't get rid of the film.  My nitrates are consistantly undetectable even on a low range kit, the film just annoys the hell out of me.

In my experience, and looking at other people's tanks, the MH lighting gives of a bluish tone anyway.  I mean I don't know too much about MH lighting but it looks about as blue as my tank with a 50/50 pc on it does.  HTH,

Matt

get something like a 12000k bulb and it should look ok. i know of a few people that use only halides withought supplementation. but with the pendant you can sometime ssqueeze a pc in there.

quiksilver5768

d*mn toy...i jus visited your website and your running a 400 watt MH? I would think you would run around a 250 for a 35. I guess its cuz your tank is a tall hex...Nice tank though. Im thinkin about getting the 175 watt Xanium 15,000K for my 10. Sounds crazy but I love the color :) (No lectures about burning my corals...it WONT happen lol. I got a plan and i will tell u all how it works out if ya wanna kno:))

thegr8tdane

I've read many articles about lights and your corals should be fine with a mh. Add the actinic if you like the color.

Quick,

I keep mushrooms under 400W I don't think its possible to Burn corals with Standard Mogul based MH (well maybe a 1000W) acclimation is key and you can keep anything as bright as you want.

HTH,

Toy

quiksilver5768

I feel the same way toy its just that when I expressed my setup ideas...i was lectured that I would kill my corals and that they wouldn't be happy. I plan on acclimating everything very slowly on a 10 minute increase everyday starting from 20 minuts. I will work my way up to 10 hours. It will take a while but in the end...well worth it.

Oh yea...i even got lectured about burning my corals for having 2x55 watt PC's on my 10. So i jus didnt wanna start up any arguments...lol :)

NanoReefer53

The Aqualine Buske (AB) bulbs give off a tint of blue so you won't need actinic supplements. I think the Sunburst 12k's are just too blue though. IMO !

Quick,

that acclimation process is gonna take a very long time and IMO not needed, you could do like 2 hours first day, 3 the next, four the following, five after that, so on and so on.....But thats really slow as well.  I usually raise the lights two feet and lower progressively over say five days or so no one ever got fried that way. Ultimately its up to you on how you go about it. the important thing is you realize to be carefull and watchfull of coral's behavior, which it seems you already do. I'm sure it will be fine.

Toy

hey quick...your acclimation would take like 60 days.....at the least i would do like 30 minute increments every day....10 minutes just seems rediculous to me...even at 30 minutes that is a 20 day acclimation....i dunno man its your money and your corals but i dont think i could wait that long. i would do what toy says...

Archived