SaltCritters.com

Which Aragalive Flavor?

dja1980

Ok, I'm going to be starting up a new 24g Nano Cube and wanted some opinions as to which Aragalive flavor is best. Argalive is available in 7 different environments: Special Grade Reef Sand, Indo-Pacific Black, Fiji Pink, Bahamas Oolite, Florida Crushed Coral, West Caribbean Reef, and Bimini Pink.

Here is the link to the descriptions of each:

http://www.carib-sea.com/pages/products/ma.../aragalive.html

My original plan was to find a bag of Southdown or another tropical play sand packaged under a different label and seed it with a Detritivore Kit, but I'm tired of looking all over the place to find a $4 bag of sand. So now I'm just going to pay the $15 for the Aragalive and be done with it. I do still plan on seeding it with the Detritivore Kit to turn it into "true live sand". I just need some help as to which type of sand would be best to host the critters that come with the Detritivore Kit.

I know the oolite is a very very fine grain. I choseto get the fiji pink because it still has a very small grain (creating more surface area for bacteria) but would not have to worry as much about it getting blown around the tank. Not 100% sure that this is the perfect grain for the detrivore kit you are ooking at, but I will ssay that I am very hapy wth my Fiji Pink, and recomend it highly.

I would stay small. Larger substrates tend to get detritus build-up quicker because of the spaces, it allows the "crap" to fall between. Larger crushed coral is great for an under gravel bio fiter.

But I wouldn't recommend an UG for a mini reef tank.

I have Figi Pink in my tank, TigahBoy has Figi Pink in his tank also. Click on the link in my signature to see the newest photos of my tank (Older onese are a few pages before).

Thanks for the replies. So would the Fiji Pink or the Special Grade be better to host the Mysis Shrimp, Gammarus Shrimp, Other Amphipods, Copepods, Etc, Miniature Brittle Stars, Baby Bristle Worms, Stomatella Varia, Peppermint Snails, and Micro Stars that come with the Ditritivore Kit?

• 2 weeks later...
yellowtangman

I have Fiji Pink in my nc6 and crushed coral in my 20h. I love the Fiji Pink but the crushed coral is NEVER clean. I reccomend Fiji Pink.

Bahamas Oolite: it looks better then the others (to me) and packs tightly, so you have much more surface area for bacteria and more anaerobic areas with a shallower depth of substrate.

I put some very small reef rubble in as well, which my pistol shrimp used to bolster the "cave" he built.

• 1 year later...

Archived