Pod Your Reef

NANO CUBE Use of GFI !!

bogeydog

I have the 24DX and haven't had any cracking problems. I am anxiously waiting for Chris to release the acrylic replacements.

Anyhow, I have taken the precausions to protect the ballast and electrical circuits from water. I replaced my wall receptacle with GFIs as well as mounted the ballast and power strip up under the cabinet stand with velcro. I also include drips loops in everything. I think that the ballast and power strip is well protected by being mounted on the opposite side of the base that the tank sits on. If the cube cracked, water shouldn't really get to these items, but all is protected by the GFI. Does anyone have any comments or concerns with this?

I am not an electrician but I thought that GFI was to protect people from being shocked and AFI was to protect against fire.

GFI is usually at the socket and AFI is at the circuit breaker, so I'm not sure you could use both inline. Maybe someone who knows more than I can shed some light on the subject?

I have no idea what "AFI" is, but GFI stands for Ground Fault Interupt. It basically compares the current coming "out" of the socket and coming "back in" to the socket. A variance means the current is being diverted elsewhere: to Neutral (for electrical shorts/faults) or other grounding (such as electrocution).

Putting electric components in water without a GFI is pretty stupid IMHO!

AFI/AFCI is an arc fault interrupt.

Here is a page about it from the UL folks: http://www.ul.com

Consumer Product Safety Commission article: http://www.cpsc.gov

AFCIs vs. GFCIs

AFCIs should not be confused with ground fault circuit interrupters or GFCIs. The popular GFCI devices are designed to provide protection from the serious consequences of electric shock.

While both AFCIs and GFCIs are important safety devices, they have different functions. AFCIs are intended to address fire hazards; GFCIs address shock hazards. Combination devices that include both AFCI and GFCI protection in one unit will become available soon.

I understand if the current jumps from metal to metal it'll cause an arc. AFI would useful in a dry environment, and fire can occur if a combustible material gets between the arc.

Not sure it would work in an aquarium setting...

Doesn't MH work by arcing through special gasses ???

Archived