Top Shelf Aquatics

Live rock smell?

jdiver

This may seem like an odd question, but how should live rock smell? I ask because the live rock I purchased yesterday does not smell good at all, and is making my whole office stink. I have seen zero hitchikers on the rock, and I'm wondering if that is in direct correlation to the smell. Is it possible to get "bad" live rock? I would really appreciate any help with this, since I am seriously considering calling the lfs where I purchased it and returning it to them. I just don't think it is supposed to smell the way it does, and the lack of any hitchikers strikes me as very odd, especially given all of the many stories I have read on here about other people's live rock and hitchhikers.

live rock smells like crap. its unnatural for it to smell even somewhat ok....the horrible stench you are smelling is just the dieoff coming to the top. if you run crabon right now it should but back on the smell....it should go away in a few days. have you ever been to the beach at low tide? same smell. .... this would have nothing to do with no hitchhikers...give it time man. i never saw anything before a week.

In the cases that you do get really good live rock, it smells like watermelon almost.  The smell IS faint but that's what it smells like.  I just took 10 lbs out of a very established reef tank and it smelled like watermelon bubble gum.  Chances are that you got some live rock that had just came in off a shipment.  This would cause a lot of die-off and would stink very badly.

HTH,

Matt

Live rock that smells really bad is un-cured. It probably won't have many live hitchikers on it becuse the smell is their rotting carcasses. Make sure you are running a skimmer on your tank and that you have excellent circulation so it cures more quickly.

jdiver,

I think SBGRAD24 hit the nail on the head. Definatly want that water moving really well in the tank.

Mattdog - I never thought of watermelon as the smell, but I guess you are right. Now if we just had some sandwiches and a basket, we could have a picnic! :)

Sorry, it's late here. heh heh

I agree, cured live rock smells a little (like melons? :) )

and if it smells any worse, especially after sitting in your tank for a day, then it means its curing, rotting away the creatures inside hehehe.

Just give it its time, it will clear up soon. I agree with the carbon idea, it helps soak up odours.

Good luck.

Thanks everyone for all of the replies, suggestions, etc. I'm used to freshwater tanks, where it should have a nice, clean, earthy smell, and if smells any different, then you have problems. I suppose it makes sense that dead and decaying bodies would smell. Had I known that though, then I might not have set it up in my office where I have to work all day. lol I have added carbon to the filter and will wait for the live rock to smell like watermelon. :)

reefguru21

Watermelon bubble gum?

If you say so.

I've got three systems up and running now and the rock in the doesn't smell quite that good =)

I work at my LFS and every so often we get a shipment of LR in  that makes you run for the hills.  200 lbs. of rotten smelling live rock is not fun to unpack at all.

Anyway sounds like die off to me, just check your parameters and watch the criters if there are any in the tank.  It will pass the smell that is =)

good luck  

I hope you dont have anything else in there....bad smell can be telling of an ammonia spike.  Although it may come with some hitchhikers, try tampabaysaltwater for true "live" rock.  Good price and good service, as well as the best live rock I have yet to see.

www.tampabaysaltwater.com

Archived