Coral Vue Hydros

Hydor FLO in 24g

doncb

I know some of you have the Hydor FLO in your 24g Cubes. I'm looking at getting one along w/ an Azoo 1200 pump (317gph) to replace the stock pump in my cube. Are there any problems like splashing when the head rotates up? Does the flow seem more random, etc.? Looking for some feedback before I buy.

Thanks!

doncb -

I LOVE mine. I wouldn't say it's a random flow, but it's a different flow. It's kind of cool to watch my Torch Coral sway back and forth with the flow changes. I'd say my 2 Perc Clowns like it too, they play in the currents all the time.

I have mine hooked up to a MaxiJet 1200 (295GPH). With my cassette skimmer, the water level is constant, and I don't have any extraordinary splashing on the light guard.

I did have a slight problem this morning - one of my Marg Snails got wedged between the spinning Hydor Flo and the wall. Stopped the Hydor Flo in it's tracks. I unwedged the little bugger then everything was fine.

sNEIRBO,

Thanks for the reply. I have an Astria snail that likes to get on top of the stock water outlet and stick his shell out of the water. Boy will he be in for a surprise! This weekend I'll see if my LFS has them. I think I've seen them there. Don't think they carry the Azoo pumps tho.

I have mine hooked up to a MJ900. I get a very small amount of splash on my light cover. However if I lower my water level in the back I get no splash.

stoney waters

doncb

I have two Flo's on my cube. I noticed a little salt build up on my shield after I upgraded my pumps. I solved the problem by making a swing arm out of two 1/2" 90 degree PVC fittings. This allowed me to swing the return down lower in the water and away from the glass. It fits snugly into the stock return hole but needed a few wraps of Teflon tape to hold the Flo on the other end. It ended the splashing and made cleaning the glass easier. I think there are a few pics in my gallery.

Hope this helps

Stone

Originally posted by stoney waters

doncb

I have two Flo's on my cube. I noticed a little salt build up on my shield after I upgraded my pumps. I solved the problem by making a swing arm out of two 1/2" 90 degree PVC fittings. This allowed me to swing the return down lower in the water and away from the glass. It fits snugly into the stock return hole but needed a few wraps of Teflon tape to hold the Flo on the other end. It ended the splashing and made cleaning the glass easier. I think there are a few pics in my gallery.

Hope this helps

Stone

You know, I had pondered doing the same thing! I'll look at your pics. Thanks!

Hey Don...my HydorFlo seems to randomize the water flow better. I will admit that there may be some minor contact on the splashguard depending on how high the water is. However, this does not appear to be giving me any problems with regards to saltkreep or loss of water or entry into the hood. It did pop off once and I think the Teflon tape suggestion is an excellent idea. SH

Anyone have any ideas if the Hydor will work on a 200gph pump in a 12g cube? Also I have the old school cube in which the outake spout is a bit wider than the new ones. its about 3/4" with about a 1/2cm hole in the middle and a lil slit on the side.

thanks

Archived