SaltCritters.com

light bulbs?

jeffsz28

i have bulbs on my one reef that are the old single bulbs- a marine glo and a triton they are like a year old or more. should i get new ones? everything seems ok except for a heat issue i have with the tank-also the bulbs still look plenty bright! and are on for 12hrs a day

Replacing them at 6 months is ideal.....8 months you'll need to change them soon.....a year...do it now.

Flourescent bulbs start going downhill in spectrum after 6 months or so.....at 8 they are still ok but will start getting worse quick....12 months old and when you drop new ones in the tank will look very bright and colorful again.

Change the soon....Cameron

I don't hear many people mention this but I think its important to change them before they are too far gone for another reason ...

... to avoid shocking the animals when you replace them with brighter new ones.

thanks guys- i'm going to buy some corallife light bulbs in the morning- going to try them out and see what they are like. marine glo and triton light bulbs are getting real cheapy priced anymore-so they must not be as good as the other bulbs. they use to be pretty popular years ago.

Archived