Innovative Marine Aquariums

pico away!

ifringe

Well... it took a bit, but finally the 2.5 pico is happily cycling.

pico2005062501.jpg

It has been going for just under 2 weeks now, and there is some ammonia (0.25), some nitrites (.05) and some nitrates (3.5), so it appears the cycle is doing its thing. There is a 36w of lighting (thanks to Matt and a custom hood), an Aquaclear mini providing constant flow, and a microjet for "wave" action. Two LEDS (bounced into the canopy) provide the moonlight. All lighting and waves are controlled by home grown X10 software, which is working well (it provides sunrise/set and the lunar cycles).

I noticed in the last couple of days it appears that a diatom bloom is happening, so I am guessing that is a good thing.

I am thinking that the first bits of a really small clean up crew should be added soon, probably after I get back from a small trip this week and the water parameters are good.

More as it happens,

david

Originally posted by Nanomaniac

What do you plan to stock the tank with?

Ah. Good question, that.

It being 2.5, there is not a lot of room. I guess that rules out a tang :).

But. I have been spending some time looking hard at the LFS and small various frags. Since this is my first marine tank, I am looking for hardy, easy things that withstand my learning experiences. It is on my desk, and so probably even the cleaner crew will keep me quite happy.

I am hoping for a couple of snails, a hermit crab or two, perhaps a shrimp, and then, when the time comes, a softie or two or three. I really don't know that a fish will end up in there, and if it does, that's great, and if not, that is OK, too. All the advice I have read is GO SLOW, and so that is just what I am doing.

I plan to start a nanocube in the very near future, so this is not to be my last tank, either.

I am open for suggestions!

david

• 2 weeks later...

Well. The cycle seems complete and now there is a snail resident and a hermit crab (which is small and presumably in there somewhere. I haven't seen it for a couple of days now, really).

Also, there is a GSP which doesn't come across too well in the picture, but in reel life [sic] it appears with good purple and greens.

Comments welcome!

pico20050707.jpg

Originally posted by robmacy

nice pico

Thank you!

I noticed today that my featherduster (a small hitchhiker on the GSP) decided to grow about 1/2" of new tube. It stayed in the old tube a lot the last day, and then this evening I noticed the new extension (hard to miss since it is a different shade of brown).

Having no experience at all, I would tend to think this is a good thing.

david

Archived