Pod Your Reef

What is the REAL Nano Cube Crack Rate?

sNEIRBO

12g DX

Purchased from LFS 7/05.

Returned first one due to huge crack out of the box (probably from shipping).

No mods, no cracks.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nov 21, 2005

Cracked 24 standard - Never got set up.

I was at a LFS and saw this one come in. It did not belong to me. The guy filled it up with fresh water and the tank cracked within the hour, from the top to the bottom along the right-front corner, and kinda J'd out at the bottom. The LFS sold him a 30G cube by Jalli.

DiverDownBrian
Nov 21, 2005

Cracked 24 standard - Never got set up.

I was at a LFS and saw this one come in. It did not belong to me. The guy filled it up with fresh water and the tank cracked within the hour, from the top to the bottom along the right-front corner, and kinda J'd out at the bottom. The LFS sold him a 30G cube by Jalli.

just under 4 months for my 12DX ... no scratches or cracks so far ... knock on wood

Well, got my first 24 gallon NanoCube DX on August 16th, 2005. Noticed surface scratches within the first 3 or 4 days, then day five I contacted JBJ myself. Since I really did not want to disturb my tank, I just lived with these "blemishes" up until this past Friday, 11/25/2005 when I did a complete tank changeout. I contacted Steve at JBJ and he worked to get me a brand new tank from my local LFS store. Although, my local LFS store were pretty shady about wanting to give me a replacement because I know they just got a shipment of them in and they have been on back-order from JBJ for the past 2 months. Anyway, the old tank would have cracked and broken allllllllll over in the next couple of months, I had the same crack everyone seems to have, top left corner starting right under the plastic, going down about 2 1/2 inches or so. Also had many other "internal" cracks, not good! Although now, I'm very happy I did this changeout, my tank has never been cleaner and healthier, plus I have no scrathes, new lights, thicker glass! Yes, the glass on the new 2006 model that I just picked up last Wed. night is MUCH MUCH

Well, got my first 24 gallon NanoCube DX on August 16th, 2005. Noticed surface scratches within the first 3 or 4 days, then day five I contacted JBJ myself. Since I really did not want to disturb my tank, I just lived with these "blemishes" up until this past Friday, 11/25/2005 when I did a complete tank changeout. I contacted Steve at JBJ and he worked to get me a brand new tank from my local LFS store. Although, my local LFS store were pretty shady about wanting to give me a replacement because I know they just got a shipment of them in and they have been on back-order from JBJ for the past 2 months. Anyway, the old tank would have cracked and broken allllllllll over in the next couple of months, I had the same crack everyone seems to have, top left corner starting right under the plastic, going down about 2 1/2 inches or so. Also had many other "internal" cracks, not good! Although now, I'm very happy I did this changeout, my tank has never been cleaner and healthier, plus I have no scrathes, new lights, thicker glass! Yes, the glass on the new 2006 model that I just picked up last Wed. night is MUCH MUCH thicker than my old 24 gallon that I originally bought in August. I don't know whether you want to consider this a true cracked tank or not since technically it did not leak any water, but did have several cracks and surface cracks all over the place. Thanks!

Many hair line scratches/cracks are hard to see - especially right upper to mid corner of my 12g DX. I have developed a few more scratches thats making me nervous but its hard to get clean shot with digital camera.

Tank set up 8mos.

• 4 weeks later...
Buy the new current USA nano its built much better and current USA lighting is one of the best.

current usa nano built much better? where did you source this information from?

second nano 24gal - first was replaced with scratches all over the place.

Second has scratches in 2 places, one blemish within glass which JBJ 'assured' me is from the extrusion of the glass when moulding curved front face... im just going to accept JBJ has crap quality control and just live with it - 2006tank has been running for 2.5mths.

2 Cubes (1) 12g DX and (1) 24 g DX No cracks both have been up for over 12 months. Just received another 24gDX as Christmas present. Will let you know what happens

12/27/05 got my Nano Cube in the mail and it was cracked! A huge crack down the whole side of the tank! They are sending the replacement and it should be here thursday.

topwater guy

My 12 gal Nano cracked on the right side at the bend down to the bottom. Lost 5 gals of water to the floor. Saved the rest to my make-up barrel. It only lasted 24 hrs. I believe it was due to stress. The cube was not squared at the time of manufacture..... Weight of Live Rock, Sand and Water was its demise.......There was no visable cracks in the glass..... :angry:

My 12 gal Nano cracked on the right side at the bend down to the bottom. Lost 5 gals of water to the floor. Saved the rest to my make-up barrel. It only lasted 24 hrs. I believe it was due to stress. The cube was not squared at the time of manufacture..... Weight of Live Rock, Sand and Water was its demise.......There was no visable cracks in the glass..... :angry:

If you knew the cube was not leveled, WHY did you fill it up with water. :wacko:

You should it took it back and got a new one.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 24DX w/LED yesterday from my LFS. the manfactured date is 11/05. Wound that be considered the 2006 model?

Just curious how to determine if I need to replace this before I get started?

Thanks

I received my NC 24 (Production date 12/05, I think) from Nanotuners a few days ago, only to find it.....cracked. Big crack (not hairline), running from top to bottom along right edge. No signs of shipping abuse. Chris Jung did a great job double-boxing the shipment, and has been a pleasure to deal with. I'd gladly have accepted his offer of an exchange, but I need a tank in very short order (son's birthday present), so I opted to get a refund and buy a replacement tank locally.

Tonight I just got back from the LFS with a new NC24 (Prod. date 10/2005) where I was given the chance to open and inspect the tank prior to purchase. No cracks. The guy at the store said that 1 out of 6 new NCs he receives *from JBJ* are cracked. That number may very well be an exaggeration, but if it's anywhere close to reality, it's a good argument for always having the tank checked before taking delivery or having it shipped.

Just got a nanocube 12 gal dx for christmas.

Came with a broken bulb and the lens cover was overtightened and one of the screw slots was broken out (but not useable).

Petsolutions.com sent me a new lens cover as well as two new bulbs, so my problem is fixed. It came double boxed and looked fine but I guess they must have some workers who handle it at JBJ really rough. I dunno i just hear so much about the problems with a brand new nanocube.

Ordered and recieved on 23rd of Jan. Cracked upon recieving. The packaging was good and believe it was cracked when it was recieved at Fosters and Smith.

The crack was in the top right corner extending to the bottom side and all the way to back of tank.

Ordered and recieved on 23rd of Jan. Cracked upon recieving. The packaging was good and believe it was cracked when it was recieved at Fosters and Smith.

The crack was in the top right corner extending to the bottom side and all the way to back of tank.

Sorry it is a 12g dx and did have a serial #

Just say no to crack. BTW, that is the classic crack area. SH

crackjoke.jpg

PS...don't forget nano cube 24G owners, (including me)...a NON-cracked NC does not exclude us from delayed latent failure. SH

Sorry about your bad experience(s), but 'cubes cracked in shipping shouldn't be inclued in the count IMO.

Just because some underpaid punk at UPS chucks your package 15 feet at the wall of a semi trailer doesn't mean JBJ has to take the blame. :happy:

I think my 12g dx was cracked after shipping to either JBJ or Fosters and Smith. There should be some quality control and check before it ships to final destination, my home. Then the final shipper can be held responsible.

Archived