Cultivated Reef

What is the REAL Nano Cube Crack Rate?

sNEIRBO

Have there been any problems with the 6 gallon model? I was at Tong's yesterday and was tempted to get one, but have read about a lot of peoples' tanks cracking. I already had a 5 gallon aga explode on me and it ruined my wood floor. But I really like the design of the tank. I don't plan to modify it, but haven't decided if I want the 6 or 12 gallon version. I think the owner of Nano Customs mentioned Current USA was going to come out with their version, but don't know when. The tank is for my girl and she keeps bugging me for one. Which system is the same as Nano Cube, I wanted to stay away from the Eclipse?

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 3 months later...

I have a 12g dx and im noticeing a very very small crack on the right side and in one spot the glass is not clear. Its not on the inside or outside so im getting really nervous.

Jeff

One 24 Gallon DX w/ moonlight LEDs

Purchased: October 20th, 2005

Setup: October 27th, 2005

NO CRACKS or any macroscopic defects.

NOTE: My stock pump kept my tank at a constant 86 degrees F all by itself with an ambient temperature of 70 degrees F. I have not attempted to return it; I replaced it with a MJ900.

1 NC 24g "Crack Kings", circa 2004 (approximatly, not original owner, but from the lack of splashguard on rear fans)

No cracks yet, but it has been moved, usually with a large ammount of water and sand in it, probably moved 3 times.

There are actually some deep scratches or chips in the corners of the take, but they are hardly noticable, and the tank has not had a crack anywhere.

I guess I got lucky, as mine seems to be built like a tank (no pun intended... or was it?)

i had a 12dx shipped over a few months back

set up in august 18

cracked setember 13

2 gallons of water all over floor not much damage nothing a steam clean did not sort out

cracked top right i was at home when it happend and it did take about a week to break but me being me thought it was a scarch

Had one of the original nanocubes for 1+ years and no problems - sold it.

Current nano 6 gallon cube housing a Gonodactylus smithii - no problems , had it for approx 6 months.

Hi-

My wife and I are newbies and are considering getting a 24 G nanocube. I've been watching this discussion with some trepidation.

I emailed JBJ and they responded that they have thickened the glass and redesigned safer packaging.

Ed

NEVER SATISFIED REFFER

why buy something that has cracking issues and heat problems. Setup something like a 15 or 20 gal or 29, I'm glad I did, I had the room for expantion adding an overflow, sump, and ER skimmer with a fuge. Do that with a Cube.

stoney waters
why buy something that has cracking issues and heat problems. Setup something like a 15 or 20 gal or 29, I'm glad I did, I had the room for expantion adding an overflow, sump, and ER skimmer with a fuge. Do that with a Cube.

The back chambers act as a sump in my cube. I was able to put in a surface overflow, protien skimmer and a fuge. I even had room for a chiller two pumps and a heater.

My boyfriend and I just bought a 24g Nano Cube Deluxe about 2 weeks ago from a local salt water fish store. So far no cracks.

I am worried now that I have read so many people have had problems. 20% is too high of a rate. I will definitely by keeping an eye on the tank. It kind of takes away from the excitement of starting a reef tank. I'm a little bummed about these tanks and their defect. I e-mailed JBJ last night inquiring about this tank issue and still no reply. What is the USA nano?

CurrentUSA's version is the AquaPod. You can see it on nanotuners.com. SH

Thanks for that info! I just wish I would have done this research before buying the Nano Cube. Yet another reminder that I have to get my impulsivity under control. :)

24DX purchased 3/05, started leaking in July 2005. Was slow leak and just ruined stand. At the same time I also set up 12 and have had no problems and it is still running.

Did get replacement from JBJ just two days ago but I don't think I am going to set it up, as I am much happier with my standard 29G with coralife pc light and Aqua C remora skimmer which took in everything from the cube upon its demise. B)

12 gal original, set up in August 2004 (ordered from petsolutions). I replaced the pump but no other mods. So far no cracks, scratches or blemishes.

Archived