ReefCleaners.org

What is the REAL Nano Cube Crack Rate?

sNEIRBO

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My 2nd replacement showed up today. It looks like there are cracks at the top of the tank behind the plastic trim. Some of them are xtra silicon and I will be checking the rest tomorrow after buying a new flat razor blade to scrape it so see if it comes off. There is one at the bottom of the tank that has me worried as well.

Will know more tomorrow and will post with what I found out.:)

But Steven at JBJ has been more than helpfull and took the time to listen to me about some of the things that were occuring from shipping the ballast inside the tanks.

Thanks,

Jason Webb

Ok, 2nd Cube replacement has crack at bottom of tank. You can feel the crack with your finger nail and it starts about 2" from bottom and goes all the way down. There is another one at the top behind the trim, but I still can not verify that until I get the new razor blade tomorrow. Will call Steven with JBJ tomorrow and give him the news. Will see if I can also get a photo of it.

Set up a 24dx May 5th 05, no cracks, the only mod is a surface skimmer, but a new pump will be installed in short order. Sounds like Deans campaign scream...

The thing is all these folks stating their glass is crack free, Thats fine.... for now, but is it scratch free.......

The worst is that the customers are "settling" for tanks that are chocked full of defects.. Doesnt make any sense to me.

The reason I think most people are settling for them is there is no other package even close in appearance and lighting for the money. I like the fact nothing is visable except the water return. I don't want to seed my heater, water filter and all the cords it takes to keep the system runnung. All the other systems I have seen have everything exposed, taking away from the clean look I get with the JBJ. I would prefer to take my chances with the clean looking JBJ rather than the eclipse, for example, where everthing is visable. yes, yes I know if I were to have a custom tank built, I will get a better product, blah, blah, blah, but I don't want to. I just want to walk into the store and buy something off the shelf that is good enough for a basic setup. If a person wants to mod it later on, there are plenty of mods that have been done and tested, but nothing has to be done right away. O.K. my fingers need to take a nap now.

I'm in the same boat ! Ship of fools ? Maybe ! But it's the best game in town ! Try Vegas. What odds ?

Only the dealer is WILD.

Sparkling_Surfer

NO cracks or scratches.

12 gallon DX

May 1, 2005

Mods: Cassette skimmer, Maxijet 900, Hydorflo, moonlights.

NOT set on JBJ stand, but I am purchasing one soon.

1st JBJ 24gal. DX leaked, but no losses. Started leaking right away after water, sand and live rock were added. LFS replaced it the same day. No problems with the replacement, after 4 months of use.

No cracks, no leaks, started cycling tank January of 2004 and it has been moved 3 times.

this percentage really is really a bit tainted by some quite distasteful bushwacking. take off the skirts ladies the whining gets old. don't like don't buy.

I can understand a customers right to voice his opinion it is cool and a right but to what point does it get to be too much?

And a real "crack rate" would be known by those at JBJ since they have the real numbers.

oh where is the third thing to vote for whitch is yes it broke but it was user error, or it cracked but my kid hit it with a weeble wobble.

Updated numbers as of today -

NO CRACKS - 125 (80.6%)

YES CRACKED - 30 (19.4%)

Nano Reef members currently ####ed at JBJ - 90%?

Originally posted by ebin

this percentage really is really a bit tainted by some quite distasteful bushwacking. take off the skirts ladies the whining gets old. don't like don't buy.  

And a real "crack rate" would be known by those at JBJ since they have the real  numbers.  

JBJ says 3% and this poll says more like 20%. Neither can be expected to be perfect, but that is a big difference, and I for one would trust the members of this forum before I would trust JBJ.

-Rick-

JBJ is trying to sell product, and trying to make money. There is nothing wrong with that - we live in a Capitalist society. But would a company trying to sell it's product come out and admit to a 20% failure rate if it was true? Or would they try to minimize the hysteria and claim it's only 3%?

The members of this forum have little to no effect on whether JBJ sells their product to their distributors and LFSs. Let's face it, we are not JBJ's customers. They sell VOLUME, not single units. That's what the LFSs are for to sell us 1 Nano Cube, while JBJ sells them 10, 50 or 100. But if the distributors and the LFSs can't move the product, then JBJ can't sell them more. Their fear is that this little grass roots movement may make some momentum and cause them some pain in the long run.

I trust the members of this forum a lot more than the company trying to get rich off of the members of this forum! Who do you think is more biased? The members with craked Nano Cubes, or the company trying to keep the public buying their product?

Me thinks me smells a conspiracy . . . the TRUTH is out there.

For the fun of it, I went thru this thread top to bottom and counted the number of cracked 24G cubes vs. 12G cubes. I came up with 13 24G and 5 12G. Obviously, not everyone who voted also posted their details.

I wanted to see if the problem was with both types or primarily the 24G, but I don't think any conclusion can be reached without knowing sales numbers for the two types.

-Rick-

wow.

From my perspective, seeing so many "nano-reef celebs" with their tanks cracked, means that this issue is much much bigger than I ever thought.

Put it this way, we are such a limited cross section of the buying public.

When it happens to a few of us, statistically, its possible that JBJ's claim of 3% is realistic. When it happens to so many of us here, its just too much to dismiss.

Heres a list of those that I know who have had a 24g crack

jedininja

shao-lin nano

SNIERBO

Stealhealer

bryandbx

ashburn

burtbollinger

scottj2

necat

bkresse

jonzer

pchezek x 2

littlestfish

kirei (customer of his)

mark___ x 3

This is just crazy

Chris

I recently found out that the LFS I bought my Nano Cube from in May, quit selling the 24 Gallon version - "too many problems". They still sell the 12 Gallon version though. They told me that of the twelve 24 Gallon Nano Cubes they originally received, they had "4 customer complaints", but wouldn't tell me how many they've had crack. Considering that the 2 I received from them cracked, I'm guessing they had more than 4 cracked tanks though.

It was the original 12G, setup 7/2004, no livestock loss as I was home when it happened - lost ~1.5G SW. Nasty crack though, started at the top of the left side, went down six inches, then crossed over to the front about four inches. No mods other than the overflow mod. Was considering upgrading to a 24, but after reading the poll results, I'm not so sure...

Archived