Sign in to follow this  
DKreefkeepers

anyone keeping frogspawn in their nano?

I just bought a nice piece of frogspawn about a week ago and it looked great the next day but ever since it has looked a little worse everyday. Just wondering if anyone else has some and what you do to maintain it. My water test fine with no amm. nitrates or nitrates. My PH is at 8.0 and my salinity is fine. My temp sits at 81. Any idea what may be going on? It looks fine for the most part except it just does not get that full looing and I can see the skeleton around the edges in a coupel of spots where I could not before.....

frogspawns, in my experience like a bit more current. where do you have him in your tank and what are the lighting conditions?

It has a nice medium current moving over it, and the lights are the stock 2 x 36w pc's in the 24g nano cube. The coral is about half way up in the cube.

Requirements: medium to strong current, medium to strong lighting.

What is your calcium at? How long did you acclimate the coral before adding it? How did you acclimate it?

FYI, the stock 50/50 bulbs aren't the best. I better combo would be a 10k bulb and an actinic.

I dont know my calcium level.... I add a buffer but dont knwo the level, I guess I need to get a test kit for that. I acclimated it by leaving it inthe bag in my tank for abotu 20min tso the temp woudl level out and then I put in some tank water over a few minutes and sat it in place. Whole thing took about 30min. My water test perfect for bad stuff and the coral looked real good for the first day or two then this started happening.

ok, the loghts you have are not bad for candycane.i have some under my PC's and they are doing great!!! I did notice however, that if the calcium level is not high enough ( between 400-450 ppm) then the coral's health starts to decline. i would get a calcium test kit.

Also, there is no need to acclimatize corals to the tank water chemistry. The only thing that could affect them is the temperature. So don't think that your acclimatization tactics are responsible for declining conditions

Originally posted by reef_a_roni

Also, there is no need to acclimatize corals to the tank water chemistry. The only thing that could affect them is the temperature. So don't think that your acclimatization tactics are responsible for declining conditions

I'm not here to contradict you. I guess I just play it safe. I am mostly concerned with a difference in Ph, salinity, and light.

I'm keeping a torch which is like a frogspawn, all it's done since I put it in is get bigger. It's tenticles keep splitting and a 3rd head is now growing.

I have 2 pieces of frogspawn (3 heads each) that I got from Tigahboy (1 piece is going back to him soon). They are doing great, even after being fragged from 1 big piece. They have medium flow (in my tank) and are about 1/2 way up in my 20L, under a 250watt MH. The sexy shrimp host in them all day, too. I've never seen a sweeper tentacle from them. **Knock on Wood**