Innovative Marine Aquariums

freckles

Hello!

I am new.  Currently, I have a 125 FOWL setup with a mushroom and a polyp colony.  I've decided I don't want a big tank any longer for various reasons, so I am getting ready to tear it down.

I have an empty 20g sitting in my garage.  I already have the LR in my 125 that I could transfer over into my 20, and I also have a DSB in my 125, which I could take and put into the smaller one.  I also have a skimmer (a prizm).  What else do I need?  I have 2 ballasts on my 125 (coralife) that I could put on there....  

My goal is to keep a few soft corals (such as my shroom and polyps).  I thought of a clam, but dont have the money for MH, so I guess that is out of the question. Any suggestions?  My fish stock in my 125 include 1 yellow tang, 1 small clown, 1 small damsel, and a goby.  I will be taking the yellow tang back.  I would like to keep the clown and damsel.  Would keeping the goby (a diamond goby) be pushing it?

Good luck with your 20G.  I recently setup my 24G.

My tank also has a Prizm skimmer, which is finaly skimming stuff.  I guess the lighting depending on what you currently have will probably do. Just list the stats of your current lighting.

As for the rocks and sand, you are ready to go.  In the 20G you could keep the clown and damsel.  But I dont think you want the goby.

In a tank this size it will finish off the sand critter population very quickly.

You dont need MH lights to get your reef tank to work, just look up the members tank in the other section and see what types of lighting they are using and use that as a base for your setup.

Hope this helps.

(Edited by Sahin at 6:35 am on June 4, 2002)

The goby would be fine in your tank.You could add a powerhead for circulation.You look like your off to a good start.Good luck.

OK, if the goby is going to be alright, then I suppose I can get one for my 24G tank.  I think they look pretty cool, and act very funny! :)

Mh is prefered if you are going to put a clam in there. yeah you definitely need powerheads for water current. tell us a little bit about how much LS and LR you are goin to put in. 125W of lighting is good enough for a 20. i really dont know if you would need the skimmer, but thats just my opinion.

I'm going to take all of my LR from my 125, which is only 20 lbs.  As for sand, I have a 4" DSB in my 125..... (300+ lbs).  I've heard a DBS isnt beneficial for a nano...... true???

No, The goby is going to slowly starve to death in a tank like that...(what kind of goby?) Unless the goby eats prepared foods I doubt that a 20 would provide the space nessecary for undisturbed pod growth...Further, Is the tank a 20H or 20L that would also make a difference in your stocking levels...

IMO, you would need more than 20 lbs of LR. ill try to go somewhere between 25-30 lbs. right now i have a 10 gal tank with around 20 lbs of LR right now. but i m goint o transfer everything into a 29 gal tank this fall.

reefguru21

On a 20 gallon metal halides are not vital.

dersea clams and a few other species of giant clams

would do well under about 100 to 125 watts using

power compacts.  ahsupply.com has gets deals all the time I would look into it for lighting needs  

good luck=)

Archived