ReefCleaners.org

Live rock and aiptasia

Fishiebusiness

Fishiebusiness

I just got a few chunks of LR for my new reef. On one of them, there are 15-20 little brown things, about a cm tall with many tentacles. When i disturb them, the tentacles retract. Aiptasia?

(Edited by Fishiebusiness at 11:49 pm on June 3, 2002)

That's what it sounds like to me.  Good luck man!  I haven't been hit with the aiptasia bug yet!  Knock on wood.  When your tank is ready to go, get you a couple peppermint shrimp.  They should be able to get a handle on those pests.

peppermints are usually the way to go but mine hasnt touched any aiptasia yet. im gonna have to do the old kalk wather syringe thing.

Fishiebusiness

After looking at some pics online, i am pretty sure its aiptasia. Now that particular piece of live rock is sitting in freshwater and not so live anymore. Oh well, i hope there aren't any more on the other rocks. They look aiptasia free so far.

Trust me the Aiptasia will spread slowly unless you act while they are small.

I had about 20 aiptasia on one rock, I posted a week ago about it.

The method I used got rid of them 100%

My method: The good old Kalk / Lime water...or rather a thick paste of it.

I mix very hot water with kalk forming a think paste. (I microwaved it :) )

I used a syringe to squirt thick blobs right at the center of each aiptasia.

They will retract.  If they retract into a hole, squirt a bit over the hole and block it.  They wont and cant come back.  Nuke them again next day if any re-appear.  I found this very easy to do.

Trust me; I read so many horror stories about how these take over a tank, but I found them easy to get rid off.  Just act quickly, and if you are concerned about nuking too many in one day, attack half one day and another half next day.

Good luck.

Keep us posted, and send me a message if you require further info or help.

(Edited by Sahin at 8:46 am on June 4, 2002)

:) Devil.  Sorry, but I couldnt risk aiptasias taking over my tank and stinging all my corals.

I remember the day I got my live rock I said to my younger bro "WOW, look theres some pretty coral brown things on this rock"

Later in the evening I was getting ready to nuke them as I found out what they are capable of.

Fishiebusiness: I didnt read your 2nd post, you could have got away with just killing the Aiptasia and not everything else on the rock.  Oh well, I am late with the reply.

But anyway, in case you see any more, try my method, it isnt destructive to the rest of the rock, just the Aiptasia.

Archived