SaltCritters.com

?'s on use of New HIGH OUTPUT 250 watt Metal Halide bulb is rated at 23,000 lumens!

yellowbird53

Well, depending on the species you're keeping and the depth of your tank, you could concievably fry/shock all your livestock or heat the water up to unsafe level. Try and watch for the caps lock next time too... :P Also that bulb is 4100k which would look awful in most peoples opinions, very yellow.

read the fine print. like victoly said, the bulb is only 4100k, which is great for plants and growth of coral perhaps, but will be fuglyer than crap.

so basically consider that this will cost you about 50-70 dollars more, to get a decent bulb with it.

Look at www.oceanencounters.com (see sponser section), they have 250 retrofits pretty cheap.

actually, lgreen(and yellow for future reference), for the best coral growth the Kelvin temp can be anywhere between 5500K and 6500K...anything lower than 5500K and you get into the 'redder' lighting. but unless i was propping coral i wouldn't even want a 5500-6500K bulb...too 'warm' looking.

Originally posted by lgreen

growth of coral perhaps, but will be fuglyer than crap.

hence the "perhaps", as in... I don't have any freakin idea. :)

Archived