SaltCritters.com

NC Success Stories?

FreakShow

So I bought the NC DX hook line and sinker...

As with every decision, you weigh your options, pros. and cons.

Pros: Price, Look, Value, (DIY mods)

Cons: Need For Fixes/mods, (Glass Production?)

For me, mods are a Pro.

Now the cracking scare! I posted on this subject, before I bought the NC, when I first read about some tanks exploding. The general response was, "Out of the few bad you hear about there are thousands that are just fine"

It now seems like 2 months or so is the cracking point.

I am sure that I'm not the only new NC owner who would like to read some of the success stories. We lurk and find those that inspire us to do great things with our own NCs but a running list might be nice.

Who has the Longest known running NC reef?

We have all read about the challenges: temp, lighting, flow, but what about the positive aspects?

Please include the:

Specifics: Tank Model

Mods(In brief. You can link to other threads with details.)

Length of time it has been running

Your greatest accomplishments

Brief Description

Picture if possible

We need some NC inspiration to get us all through this crisis, many of us have committed and can't afford to just get a new tank!!

Cheers,

FreakShow

DKreefkeepers

All these people reading and no replies...... come on fellas that is pathetic.

NC24g DX up for one month, no visable defects. 20lb live sand, 30lb live rock, one fish, one shrimp, 5 corals, zero problems. (knock on wood) Stock everything... sitting on the NC 24g cabinet stand. Loving every minute of it so far. (first reef)

Thanks DK.

This thread may take some time. People are much more enthusiastic to vent then to write up the status quo. I'm certainly one of them. Thanks to folks like steelhealr, artarmon42, and many others who post when there are positive and negative thread topics.

Looking for some balance don'tcha know.

I'm at work so I don't have access to my notes at home but I have two (NC6g for two months and NC12g for one month).

Both are fine and coming along nicely.

More later when I get home . . .

OK, her's mine:

I set my 24DX up on March 10. No leak test. Just filled it up & ran w/ it. Mods include: LED moonlights, CCFL lights, added Rio pump for flow, LED fuge light over 2nd bay, 2 CPU fans added in hood.

Here is a pic of it now:

060905.jpg

Upright Joe

I've got the original 24 watt nano cube purchased in May of 2004 with the original stand. I've done some minor mods - nothing requiring cutting or drilling. No problems here.

Just bought a 6 for the contest - no problems so far with it either. (fingers crossed).

Sparkling_Surfer

I have a 12DX that has been running since 1st of May. No problems with tank functioning (besides fans that are loud once in a while & heat issues). I replaced stock pump & powerhead with a MaxiJet 900 & Hydorflo. I have a fan blowing on the outside of the tank (feeding lid propped open for heat escape) while the lights are on, keeps it "cool" at 82 degrees. I also have a cassette skimmer. I added a Fishbowl Innovations Moontube. Thats it for the mods.

Everything has been thriving. For pictures & tank inhabitants, see link in my signature! Oh, and tell me what you think on my thread ;)

I have a 12 DX. It's been running now for about 3 months, maybe..... can't remember the exact date I purchased it.

I am taking it very slowly so, I've only got a clean up crew of 3 hermit crabs, 3 bumble snails, one shrimp, one sally lighfoot crab and a turbo snail.

I am going to put some Zoo's and Polyps in but, not much else.

I've got 18lbs of live rock.

No mods really. Just a RIO 600 pump and I ordered a surface skimmer from Nano Bob, which is on it's way.

So far, so good and I really like the challenge of keeping such a small tank that will eventually be very diverse. My 55 gallon tank is a snap compared to this.

Like one of the post that I read a few weeks ago said, you really only hear of the bad. The good seems to stay out of the picture, which is really a shame.

Tank: NC 12g DX here, stand is NC 12g S stand.

Duration: bought used, so not sure about previous usage. But has been running for close to 5 months, without a problem.

Mods: only mod is a 24LED fuge light (over chamber 2) and a 3LED night light (over chamber 3).

6g

Running almost a month now

Ran a MaxiJet 900 originally down sized to 600 because of too much flow.

Hydor Flo (Love this mod)

6 lbs of LR

3 lbs of LS

Light Mod

I got into SW based on steelhealr's post. I love my Nano cube I don't think any other option looks as good. Beyond the cracking problems I think it's an excellent option for a beginner. You could easily have a beautiful tank without doing any modifications to it. Considering the 6g runs about 80$ thats pretty good. I'm extremely pleased with how my tank is progressing. The other aspect is that there are a ton of mods that you can do to this tank. Look at the tanks in the OPEN portion of the tank contest.

Archived