Cultivated Reef

Nano Cube cracks and leaks

shao-lin nano

shao-lin nano

Sucks to hear so many people with recent cracks and leaks in their cubes. For those of you w/o a crack or leak you must be nervous as hell like me.

For those of you who have had your tanks crack and leak how did the water come out? did it trickle out along the glass or squirt out like a sream?

I'm thinking of putting my tank and stand in a large rubbermaid tub in case it leaks as a precaution. I live on a second floor appartment and it would be disasterous for me and my downstairs neighbor if anything should happen to my cube.

SHao-lin -

A piece of glass about 1.5" long x 0.25" wide was expelled from the side of my tank, about 8" down from the top. I was not home when it happened, but I'd guess it looked like an open Beer Tap. The water went through my carpet, through the floor, through the ceiling of my basement before stopping on my basement floor. Hard to say how far from the edge of the tank the water was actually gushing, an educated guess would be 6 - 12 inches. It better be a pretty BIG Rubbermaid container!

BTW - I found the shard of glass about 5 feet away from my tank during the clean up. I still have the shard - anyone want me to post a picture of it?

shao-lin nano

sounds like i need to keep my nanocube in a kiddie pool just to be safe....or maybe in the bath tub.

Shao-lin -

You better stop the King-fu lessons for your cube! That Ninja's got a glass jaw!

A kiddie pool probably would have contained the mess.

As steelhealr has suggested - go do a COMPLETE inspection of your tank. Look at it from both the outside, as well as the inside from the opposide of the tank. Look for small cracks that might be hidden behind the plastic trim at the top as well.

I checked all of mine for small cracks. You know if you get a polarized light you can see all of the stress cracks. Stuff you would never see with your eyes!

You guys wanna know what is freaky.....Being new to the Nano-Cube family, reading all of the cracked tank stories and as I sit here reading about all the exploding tanks.....a pistol shrimp starts snapping its claws in my tank.....:blink: Talk about making your heart skip a beat....LOL

I have a question for all you who have had your tank crack. Do you have a QT tank that you could quickly swap your live stock into until you get a bigger tank? I just want to make a plan of action if something like this happens to me.

No QT, just a bunch of 5 Gallon Buckets! My third Cube was shipped from JBJ yesterday, currently enroute to Detroit. Hopefully Cube-2 will hold together until it arrives. Cube-2 is currently wrapped like a Christmas present with clear packing tape. I'm hoping that will stop the cracking until Cube-Tres arrives.

Mine cracked within 45 minutes. The second has been set up for about 5 weeks. I am preety sure this will be cool. If they are going to stress and crack, I think it will happen in the first 48 hours.

Besides, it's only water.

I wish I had pic's of my 160 gal after the Northridge earthquake here in L.A. a few years back!!!

Hey sNEIRBO.... I am from Flint (live in L.A. now)

GO PISTONS!!!! :woot:

Hey reef-luva -

My Cube-Uno cracked after 4 weeks! And it's not "just water" - it's water, salt, and critter waste - and when it drys your carpet smells like someone dumped 12 gallons of milk on it! Thank heavens for PetSmart's PetZyme Odor Remover!!!!

Go Pistons! But I miss the Red Wings!! X){d'Oh)

Archived