Coral Vue Hydros

? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ?

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

well i guess i fragged my first coral today, i think.lol this guy was a hitchhiker. unfortunatly he was on the underside of my new zoos. i broke him of with a butter knife so i could place him in the light/photo for i.d.

so 2 questions come to mind, what is it? and should i put him back in a dark spot(lol i doubt it but thought i'd ask)

when its open it has a yellow/brown see through membrane that covers the rock. it seems to have sweeper tenticals/polyps(1/16" long)that are a little brighter. the entire rock is less than 1/2" in diameter.

ill try and get a better picture when it opens back up.

thanks guys!

leigh

one more thing, i took it out of the water to photograph (5-10 seconds) did i kill it by doing so? i figured this rock probably spent most of its time dry in shipping. didnt think another 5-10 seconds would be a problem. or was it?????

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

its not. it retracted into the skeleton when i broke it off the rock. its sitting on the table in the pic.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

although its not a good pic, if you look close, you can see little white spots on the top polyp. there its tiny tenticals. its been back in the tank for 20min and the membrane has returned so im assuming its not dead.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

the little, brightly colored dots are actually tiny tentical/sweepers. i wish i could get you guys a better pic, but this is a very very small rock.

thanks again

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

i did a quick seard of Diploastrea Heliopora . it is off of an indo live rock (originally) that my lfs added zoos to. i have to say though, while searching Diploastrea Heliopora i came across Fungiidae. it looks alot like the fungia scutaria . the tips of its tenticals are very much like the Galaxea astreata the tips seem to glow. (tiny dots in the pic above) could it belong to this family of hard corals?

MinibowMatt

If it is fungia scutaria it wouldnt spread. They are solitary. I suppose when it gets big, it would throw off babies, but yours are still babies themselves...

Try posting the pic of Tinypic so that we can get better resolution.

i would bet its the anthocauli from a fungia(plate coral). i've got around 6 or 7 of them growing out of a piece of rock that a bunch of my yumas are on. very cool to see! mine are florescent!

Very cute. Reminds me of a plate, though I haven't seen several buds attached together. Then again, someone I know has about 50 babies that came off her mother colonies, so...

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

how fast do plate corals grow? never had one, always wanted one.will these guys ever split up? thanks again guys

i dunno how long it'll take for them to 'let go' of their rock but i've had mine since a year and a half ago or so(not even visible on the rock at first) and they've only grown to about the size of an 'o'. there are around 4 or 5 of them. but, i also didn't give them good lighting or anything...kinda just let them be.

formerly icyuodd/icyoud2

yup thats them. i have 2 colonies of about 4 polyps. just found the others today. thank you for the link

Archived