Innovative Marine Aquariums

2.5 Mini-Bow Pico Project

doncb

Amazing pictures and lovely tank you got there,

Excuse my dumme question, What is your tanks Brand who makes it, down here where i am from (Montreal, Canada) i cannot find anyone carries Mini-Bow tank, please if you dont mind telling me.

thanks a lot

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Fishfreak218

All Glass Aquarium Makes it..go to there website and youll see it and the specs. for it try big als ..i think they have it..at least the one in florida does...bigalsonline.com

Originally posted by mushroom head

Any updated pics?

No new pics yet. I'll see about taking some this weekend. Not much has changed physically. I've had to thin out the algae weekly when I do the water change & cleaning. Never had a hair algae problem and everything seems to be doing fine other than the small ric that is in the front. May replace it w/ something this weekend. Really supprised at how easy this small tank has been to take care of. Actually easier than my 24g Cube!

OK, time for some new pics!!

FTS 9-04-05

FTS_090405.jpg

New Zoas.

Zoas2_090405.jpg

Dreaded Aptasia!?

P9020042.jpg

Green Mushrooms.

GreenShrooms.jpg

I'll post more updates in the future & thanks to everyone for looking! :)

Originally posted by hyewiz

Amazing pictures and lovely tank you got there,  

Excuse my dumme question, What is your tanks Brand who makes it, down here where i am from (Montreal, Canada) i cannot find anyone carries Mini-Bow tank, please if you dont mind telling me.

thanks a lot

That is odd. I live in Toronto and I can walk into any fish store and get one.

Also big al's in Canada has them all the time.

-Crypt

• 3 weeks later...

An update on the tank.

The larger branch on the trumpet coral is in the process of splitting. It has developed 2 mouths and there is a narrowing in the center. On the smaller one the mouth seems to have moved off center so I think it will be splitting soon too. I'll try to get a pic soon. :)

• 1 month later...

Gosh, way overdue for an update!

The tank has been doing great. It is just over 4 months since being started. Zoos and GSPs are spreading. The Trumpet coral has one head splitting and the other one has the mouth moving off-center. Got a lot of flat worms in the tank but they don't seem to be causing any problems. Here are a couple of pics taken soon after the weekly water change, so not everything is happy:

FTS10-23-05.jpg

Trumpet10-23-05.jpg

Think you can maybe fit in a 13w Actinic were the 9 is? I don't know how long the bulbs are.

Don't know. The 9w I use to provide a light "cycle". I have it come on 30min. before the main lights and go off 3min. after.

Don't know. The 9w I use to provide a light "cycle". I have it come on 30min. before the main lights and go off 3min. after.

Couldn't you just leave the 9w on with the 50/50 so the corals are a little more colorful during the day, then use moon lights to cycle? I was thinking about installing 2 blue LEDs to be used this way.

Couldn't you just leave the 9w on with the 50/50 so the corals are a little more colorful during the day, then use moon lights to cycle? I was thinking about installing 2 blue LEDs to be used this way.

I do leave the actinic on all day & the LED is on 24/7. I have the LED pretty dim so it doesn't do anything with the main lights on but the corals look nice at night when it's on.

• 5 weeks later...

doncb: Your tank looks great. Thanks for posting all the detailed instructions - they were very helpful (i.e., I *plagiarized* your setup)! Keep the photos coming when you have time! Can't wait to set mine up at the office.

doncb: Your tank looks great. Thanks for posting all the detailed instructions - they were very helpful (i.e., I *plagiarized* your setup)! Keep the photos coming when you have time! Can't wait to set mine up at the office.

Thanks!

The tank is doing great. The Trumpet is well on its way to a complete split. And it is nice to sit and look at.

As to the sand, it is Estes' Brand Ultra Reef Marine Sand. Comes in a 5lbs bag and is about $4.00 at the LFS. One bit of advice on the sand. Wet it down an use some water conditioner w/ slime coat to get the sand wet. Otherwise, it tends to float and takes a long time to settle out.

Beautiful job on the tank, it gives hope to a college kid who has to buy $300 worth of text books instead of a nano cube :)

Thanks. I also have a 2.5 AGA in the Pico contest. These are the way to go to have a nice tank that doesn't drain the bank. They look nice and are easy to care for. Perfect for a dorm too.

Think you can maybe fit in a 13w Actinic were the 9 is? I don't know how long the bulbs are.

Using doncb's plans I mod'ed my tank and managed to shoehorn the 13w actinic in there. Crowded but it fits.

update! update! update!!!!

ditto, ditto, ditto.

Would love to see some new pics when you have time!

Archived