inTank Media Baskets

Emerald Crab's RULE!!

SoS

I have two tanks a 29 Gal and a 10 Gal. I recently Purchased a Xenia frag for my 10 Gal. I put it in and saw that the Xenia wasnt doing well it stayed scrunched up. Then I noticed the hug outbreak of Bubble algae un the base rock of the xenia that was actually irritating the base of the xenia. Hopeing something would eat it I let it go for a day, but it stayed scrunched up and it didn't look good. the Sally Light foot and the hermits ignored it in the 10 gal. So last night I moved it to the 29Gal with the emerald crab to see if he would take a stab. Well I woke up this morning and I find the Xenia swying nicely with the emerald crab sitting on the base rock with not a hint of bubble algae too be found. This isn't the first thing I've seen him clean up. Every tank I have from now on will probably have an Emerald Crab as part of the cleanup crew.

I have read alot of stuff in this forum about people wanting emerald crabs so I thought I'd relate this to help.

They do a great job on bubble algae, but just wait till that's all gone. Hope yours stays behaved, but they can be terrors. Mine chowed on a xenia stalk before he was banished.

We keep mithrax (emerald) crabs in all our reef tanks, in fact I wouldn't have a reef tank without one. Even without bubble algae in the tank we have never had a problem with them bothering any of the corals. They do a great job of helping keep the tank clean.

Archived