Cultivated Reef

how long have you had your cube?

DKreefkeepers

DKreefkeepers

I am curious as to how long you guys have had your nano cubes and how many of you have never had a problem. I am getting scared with all these "cracking" threads and just want to see how long some of the other ones are holding up with no problems. Just tell us what size yours is and how long it has been up. If you read this RESPOND! we need a real world estimate on the number of ones that are ok to the ones that are BAD!

EDIT: I have a 24g with moon lights and it has been up for almost a month.

I've had mine since December, but it has not been filled with water yet. All of the occurances of cubes breaking has freaked me out. I'm seriously thinking about selling my cube, and getting one custom made. It's a shame that I put all of this money into modding my 2004 12dx into a larnie edition and I haven't even used it once. It'll probably be posted on ebay in the near future.

Mine has been filled & running since March 10. The only problem I have had is not draining my checking account!

Feast your eyes!

060905.jpg

Upright Joe

I've had the original 12 gallon, 24 watt cube for over a year - no problems. I just starting setting up a 6 for the contest last week. No sign of cracks yet but obviously, these recently failures have me concerned.

I'm trying not to overreact but man, it's definitely looking like there's some design/manufacturing issues unless a whole cargo container of them from china got dropped or something.

I'll be making crack inspection part of my weekly water change routine from now on.

JAMAICANreef

I had this 12G for 6 months...no problems...inspected everything after i emptied it...still no problems...filled it back up for my girlfriend's first reef tank...still no problems. Honestly I think its either poor quality control or just the way some of these units are shipped. I ran my new 24g full to the brim for a month before i emptied my 12 just to make sure there were'nt any cracks...i suggest you guys go the same.

Nikko

One month tomorrow (20th)First one cracked within 45 minutes.

I think that if they are going to crack, due to shipping and/or poor inspections... that they will do so within a week.

That is what someone should thread....

IF your cube broke,

WHEN did it happen. X)

DKreefkeepers

JAMAICANreef AWESOME TANK!!! also grunt.... dead on arrival? or did they explode at a later date? I was at my lfs today here in Dallas and they move quite a bit of NC's and one of the main guys in charge said that he has only heard of 2 cubes doing that since they have started selling them and they have moved plenty of them.

GruntSculpin

Both of mine had cracks in them on arrival. The outher shipping boxes seem to have been damaged in both cases, but the inner one wasn't, at least on the second. I really think the glass is so brittle that moderate shocks are causing the damage, close the lid a bit too hard and voila. I'll post some pics of the boxes if that intrests anybody.

Chris

March 21, 2005: No leaks but noticeable deep scratches inside glass bend that was not there several weeks ago. I love my 12dx and pray my little heart out it does not break.

12DX stock.

sir winston mulligan

ive had mine for close to a year, and have had no problems, but with all this talk about cracks and leaks im going to move the reef into a aga 30g when i move...i have to much invested for a leak to ruin it! ill still use the cube but it wont have 1500+ dollars worth of livestock in it, maybe a couple seahorses..i have an 04 12DX w/70w regent retro oh yeah i got mine from a LFS

I got mine from the LFS. It was filled for 4 months with no problems then I took it down to remodel it. I'm awaiting my rock which should be here any day then I'll fill it again.

had mine since december. Ive had no cracking probs but had to rebuild the filtration to allow more time between water changes as i travel with my job a lot.

I got and set my 2004 12g dx in December. I have not had any problems with leaks/cracks. Mine was purchased from a LFS.

I have done lots of rock work, and rework duing which i'm sure the glass got bumped several times. I have added pumps, modded the crap out of the hood(96w now/92w up till 2 months ago). I had to do some rework to my custom stand and picked the tank up with all the lr/ls and 1/4 full of water and moved it to a temp stand and then back. My stand is not completly level, it back is 1/4" lower due to the floor. So knock on wood but my tank has taken some abuse and is still going strong.

All the talk of cracking tanks has me a little worried but I still love the clean looks of the tank and would do it all over again.

Cracked tank after a month. It was just sitting on its stand and cracked during the night. No warning. woke up to the mess on a Saturday.

Archived