Coral Vue Hydros

cooling the water

scarygary

i have a 24g nano the water temp was about 85.i turned the heater off and its still in the low 80s.I propped the lid open about 1/2 in. in the front.temp came down a bit more.my apt ac is set at 80.any suggestions on getting it in the normal range.im getting more algae than i want right now

kiltboy1675

go to walmart and buy a cheap table fan and blow the air across the glass. p.s. the is might cause ALOT of evaporation, but it will keep your tank cool

With the ambiant temp at 80 it is unlikely that you will able to drop the tank temps that much without some kind of mechinical help. Chris at nanocustoms sells a ICA for the nanocubes you may want to consider getting one of those. Or turn the AC down a bit and see if that helps. In the long run the ICA is the way to go IMO.

good luck,

Bob

i think ill give kiltboys idea a shot b4 springing for the cost of a chiller.any sugg for the optimum place for a secondaary pump. i have a rio 600.i tried it in the 1st chamber but it blew too much debris back in the tank.it takes up alot room in the tank

i think ill give kiltboys idea a shot b4 springing for the cost of a chiller.any sugg for the optimum place for a secondaary pump. i have a rio 600.i tried it in the 1st chamber but it blew too much debris back in the tank.it takes up alot room in the tank

• 2 weeks later...
liquidfunk

is an ICA just a radiator with a fan? what is it exactly? I need to chill a larger system (60-70g) for my octo tank (I have nano as well) and I dont have a "nanocube".

Can someone tell me what this thing really does so I can maybe see if it will work on a different system? could it be dropped on anything with an external area for a fan?

ICA uses Peltier effect, or thermo-electric effect. Similar to iceprobe chiller. It pumps electron gas between n type silicon and p type silicon alternatively to do cooling. You can understand it as when gas expands will absorb heat, and when compressed, will release heat. A link

http://www.digit-life.com/articles/peltiercoolers/

All cooler has a maximum power to pull heat. I dont know how much power the nanocustom ICA can pump, so you need to find that number and find out if it will serve a 60-70 gallon tank. Or, with some rough estimation, you should be able to know how much power is needed. I think ICA can bring down the temperature of a 24g NC by 3~4 degree, similar performance to Iceprobe chiller. So in proportion, you can expect it will do about 1/3 temperature drop for 3x volume of water, which is 1 degree. If you have a lot of heat source, or high ambient, I doubt 1 degree will do much. So if you want more than that, you need to DIY a cooler with a TEC (thermo-electric cooling) unit of enough power. Just attach the TEC unit cold surface to your tank (preferrably a metal surface where you keep circulating water), the hot surface to a heat sink, then a fan to keep blowing air on the heat sink. It shouldnt be a hard project.

On the other hand I think in general TEC isnt as effective as conventional cooler cost wise, because they are better in compactness and quietness, as a result lose on other ends (cost). Conventional chiller running at 1/4 horsepower, or 184.5 watts, is about $300. iceprobe with less than 50W is $100. So same cost would give you less cooling power.

Again I dont know about the cooling power of ICA. so you need to do more research.

Archived