Coral Vue Hydros

lighting in 2.5mb...does the bulb need to be covered?

sarahdae

I notice a lot of you retrofit your smaller MB's (like 5 or 2.5 gal) with the screw in coralife 50/50 bulbs. Some of you just screw one in place of the stock bulb, some of you fit two 50/50 10w bulbs under the hood. I found a 20w 50/50 bulb but it's too long so I moved the socket over under the hood. The bulb would just be over the water with no splash guard. I noticed some of you guys don't have a covering over your bulbs, if water splashes on the bulb will it break?

Have any of you had a bulb break like that?

The stock fixture had a small sort of splash guard over the incandescent bulb, but it didn't cover the full length of the bulb.

Any helpful info would be great...

Always have a splash guard between the water and hood. You not only want to stop any water that might splash up but also cut down on condensation as stuff cools down after the lights go out. Also, it will help cut down on heat transfer from the lights to the water. Saltwater + electrical = bad news.

Edit: I am just setting up a 2.5mb and I put in a 10w Coralife 50/50. I took out the stock plastic guard and cut a piece of plexiglass to sit on the lip of the tank. I'm probably going to trim it to fit inside the hood and have it clip in some way. Also thinking about going w/ the 20w Coralife 50/50.

sarahdae - Can you tell me the length of the 20w? Do you have the 2.5mb & how did you move the socket over?

Hey Doncb,

Yes I have the 2.5mb and I removed the socket, drilled a new hole for the "light switch" and then used a dremel to remove any plastic supports that were in the way of moving the socket over. I then put the socket switch in the new hole, screwed the nut on the outside, and that is how it is held in place. so all you see on the outside of the hood is the old hole where the light switch used to be (but it is on the back side of the hood anyway). The 20w bulb is about 9" long, and the 10w bulb is about 5" long, so there is a considerable difference. I will have to buy some plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of the tank. What tool did you use to cut your plexiglass?

Originally posted by sarahdae

Hey Doncb,

Yes I have the 2.5mb and I removed the socket, drilled a new hole for the "light switch" and then used a dremel to remove any plastic supports that were in the way of moving the socket over. I then put the socket switch in the new hole, screwed the nut on the outside, and that is how it is held in place. so all you see on the outside of the hood is the old hole where the light switch used to be (but it is on the back side of the hood anyway). The 20w bulb is about 9" long, and the 10w bulb is about 5" long, so there is a considerable difference. I will have to buy some plexiglass and cut it to fit the top of the tank. What tool did you use to cut your plexiglass?

Hey! Thanks for the info! Doesn't sound like the mod is too bad. Was your socket a double socket? I took the cover off mine and it is a double socket with only the one side being used. I'd either have to find a single or cut off the one side.

On the plexi I used a utility knife to score both sides and then snaped the plexi. At the back where the AC20 filter is, I cut the short length with a hack saw and scored/snaped the longer side. It runs from the back of the tank to just in front of the light.

neanderthalman

if you have access and experience with jigsaws or table saws, they both do an excellent job of cutting acrylic with regular old wood blades. In my experience, I find I get a cleaner edge with the table saw than the score 'n snap method....but snapping it works well enough for a simple cover. If you're a perfectionist, you will probably hate the score 'n snap method.

Hey,

My fixture had the double socket too, I still used it how it was and it fit under there with the 20w bulb okay, I just had to scoot it ALL the way over to the side. But yes, it did fit with the double socket. So your plexiglass is not cut in a bow shape on the front? where it bows out, did you just leave a gap?

(I guess what I'm asking is your plexiglass have square edges only, or did you custom fit it to the bow-front?) I guess the score and snap method would not work in cutting the bow front edge.

Originally posted by sarahdae

Hey,  

My fixture had the double socket too, I still used it how it was and it fit under there with the 20w bulb okay, I just had to scoot it ALL the way over to the side. But yes, it did fit with the double socket. So your plexiglass is not cut in a bow shape on the front? where it bows out, did you just leave a gap?

(I guess what I'm asking is your plexiglass have square edges only, or did you custom fit it to the bow-front?) I guess the score and snap method would not work in cutting the bow front edge.

I left the front edge straight so I could open the little hatch for feeding & not have to lift everything up. Figured I'd just keep it simple! Having the front open like that and the open area at the filter also allows some ventalation over the water too.

Archived