Pod Your Reef

Another Nano Cube 24DX crack(s).....

necat2

Big Newbie Hello to Everyone!

Well, here it goes…I’ve been lurking for awhile researching and gleaning information. One of the best threads I have ever read is Steelhealr’s Nano Cube start up guide, a must read for all newbieshttp://www.nano-reef.com/forums/showthread...ight=steelhealr

With that being said, here is my Nano Cube 24 DX crack story. Last weekend my husband and I purchased the Nano Cube 24 DX . We did a 24hr wet test, everything seemed perfect. So we decided to fill the tank with the essential start up components: RO saltwater, live sand, an expensive 17lb. Marshall Island live rock (purchased at another LSF), and heater.

It wasn’t until we set the whole thing up and started to ogle the live rock under the light, did we notice the small pinhead size bump next to a divot of the same size surrounded by a one inch grey halo smack dab in the middle of the front left corner bend. I called the LFS and told them of the defect, they said we could replace it with another one. So, leaving nothing to chance drained the tank, put the live sand in a storage container with a powerhead and took the live rock back to the other LFS to be place in a holding tank.

Where are we at now? My husband got a refund from the LFS . They said they would give our money back if the tank was spotless. After detailing the heck out of it I noticed other cracks, one on the inside of the first chamber and a series of micro cracks running horizontally on the right corner bend. My expensive Marshall Island LR is still in a holding tank (anyone interested in buying it?) and I’m considering selling all of the other essential unopened accessories on EBay. Maybe we will regroup and take another non-Nano Cube route.

Please be kind. I thought long a hard whether or not to post this thread. I know so many of you have so much time and money wrapped up in the Nano Cube. But, the bottom line for me is this is a place to exchange information which may help others and this is what prompted me to post.

P.S. Curiously when I told the owner about the defect her response was, “Already”

Thanks Nadine

Nadine,

I understand your frustration completely. I own the 2004 model of the Nano cube and it has been running setup since the beginning of March. I tested it for 1 week running just water and livesand before adding anything else. You were smart to test it and even though you thought you had a success you didn't at least you caught it before you had any major coral / livestock purchases. That would have been a total nightmare, my worst one in fact.

What to do? Well I would definately purchase a NanoCube again myself. If it were me in your shoes, I would just inspect the tank very well at the LFS, I am sure the owner/mgr would understand why and even be helpful in examining the tank before you left the shop.

Don't get me wrong, I have purchased many, many tanks in my time and I learned this lesson the hardway, by taking a tank home not inspecting it and then having it crack/give on the bottom and a massive leak.

I understand your frustration, but remember Chris from NanoCustoms.com has stated the failure rate vs. # of tanks sold is very low. I don't think that if you examined the tank very well at the store you will be upset again. :)

I hope this rambling helped you in some way, and I hope you feel good about this hobby soon. Setbacks do occur but they are "ALWAYS" learning sessions too.

Hope to see you on the thread soon w/ a tank to show off!

TrekBear

Thank You for your kind words of encouragement TrekBear. I kept FW tanks many, many moons ago. I once had a 20 gal. acrylic show tank blow out the front. What a mess. At the time I lived on the top floor of a two story apartment. The water seeped through the floor in to my neighbor’s apartment. I had to call in a 24 hour disaster clean up crew.

Your right, we should have gone over it with a fine tooth comb. We are considering down sizing to a smaller size nano. This way if disaster strikes I can manage it with my Bissell Green wet vacuum.

I know this wasn’t an issue with being on a level stand. It was on a beefy extension island jutting out from our fireplace made of 2 x 4. And, there were no extreme temperatures inside vs. out. Oh well, who knows. I could puzzle this thing out until I’m blue in the face.

You very well might see my start-up. Hopefully we can come to some sort of decision about where to go from here this weekend. It’s always been a dream to have a reef tank. I know my two little ones would really enjoy it. My 3 ½ year old knows the common names of the most popular LFS marine fish and of course my 1 ½ year old knows all too well Nemo. Up until now our yearly annual pass to the Long Beach Aquarium of the Pacific eased the urge to start a tank.

I’ll keep everyone who’s interested posted…hopefully will be cycling soon!

Nadine

Nadine..thanks for your comment above. I happened to catch your post since I've been following sNEIRBO's closely. I agree with Trekbear. Don't give up on the tank. Like TB, I was fortunate to test my tank for over a week, mostly because I was checking out a light mod. It really was great that you picked up on the defect. I've played both sides of the coin on some threads, but, I do agree that the tank is just plain 'neat'. Feel free to PM if you need any input or feedback when you get up and running. SH

I’m just sick about the whole thing. Anyone with a nano cube should be afraid very afraid. I’ve been following this thing as closely as everyone else, it’s such a shame. Besides the time and expense, there is so much beautiful live stock which has been lost and potentially will be lost. IMHO they are ticking time bombs.

In my younger days (early 20’s) when I kept FW tanks, I so wanted a reef tank. I remember the only thing keeping from buying a set up was exactly that, the set up. I just hated the idea of parting the components together. Fast forward to today (after college, kids errr just turning the big 40, etc.) technology has changed, but you still have to part together a decent set up. The nano cube was the perfect answer; a clean all in one contained system.

If it matters, the Mom in me is right there with you guys and gals. I’m on pins and needles for you. I dread the thought of opening this forum and finding another tank deconstruct. I can only imagine your current anxiety.

Well, I’m sticking with this situation everyone…if there’s any why I can help let me know.

Nadine

Well I thought I’d give it a shot, plus get my two cents in ;) . Here is my letter to Steve Yim and...here's the not so surprising reply:

To:

Steven Yim

Transworld Aquatics Enterprises, Inc.

3730 Unit 6, West Century Blvd.

Inglewood, CA 90308

Dear Mr. Yim,

Thank you for your response to the many concerned Nano Cube owners regarding its quality. I was one of the many original posters on the nano-reef.com, Nano Cube forum page. I’m sure since you are keeping such close tabs on the situation you may have read my post(s) under the user name necat2. You can visit my post regarding this issue via this link: http://www.nano-reef.com/forums/member.php...fo&userid=15125

We bought our Nano Cube 24DX with the greatest of expectations and confidence. It was going to be a family project where my children could take part and learn about the oceans and its inhabitants. My husband and I were looking forward to enjoying and learning the art and hobby of reef keeping. It was a big decision budget wise, but thought it was worth it because our children would learn so much from the experience. Unfortunately none of this is to be, due to our Nano Cube’s defects.

We treated, upon transport from our local fish store, like it was one of our children being brought home from the hospital for the first time. We did a 24hr wet test, everything seemed perfect. So we decided to fill the tank with the essential start up components. It wasn’t until we set the whole thing up and viewed the live rock under the light, did we notice a small pinhead size bump next to a smooth divot of the same size surrounded by a one inch grey halo smack dab in the middle of the front left corner bend. So, leaving nothing to chance we drained the tank, put the live sand in a storage container with a powerhead and took the live rock back to another fish store separate from the one we purchased our Nano Cube from. Upon break down we also noticed other defects; cracks, one on the inside of the first chamber and a series of micro cracks running horizontally along the right corner bend.

We are one of the lucky consumers who received a full refund for the tank alone. But, we are now stuck with over four hundred dollars in nonrefundable basic set up expense (please see the break down of our costs). We spent this money because we had the highest of confidence in your product. Now our confidence is shattered, my children are confused and sadden, and we are bitterly out $410.00.

You had mentioned in your official post on the Nano Cube forum of nano-reef.com that “…will make every attempt to keep our "Nano-Cube Owners Satisfied" in the unlikely event you experience any concerns with cracks or breaks...” We would be very satisfied customers if we were reimburses for the nonrefundable money we spent setting your product up. We would send all products purchased to set up our Nano Cube 24DX at our expense (except for the live sand at sixty dollars which we had to throw about after a week). We are not interested in another Nano Cube. We just want to move forward and put this whole thing behind us.

Thank You for Your Time,

Nadine (last) & Address

Hello Nadine (last name),

I would like to apologize for any inconvenience the crack/breakage has caused to you and your family.

Unfortunately, we only cover the products that we manufacture under warranty claims. As you stated in your email, you mentioned you were able to obtain a refund for the 24g Nano Cube at the retail store.

I am very sorry that I could not provide you with a refund for the other products that were purchased in conjunction with the Nano Cube.

Sincerely,

Steven Yim

JBJ-USA Aquarium Products

Online Customer Care

M-F/9AM-5PM Pacific Standard Time

Tel:( 310) 672-4099 / 672-4021

Fax: (310)672-7261

http://www.jbjlighting.com/

*The break down of expense is posted on SH’s “Stop!! Do Not Buy A Nano Cube”

Nadine

Archived