SaltCritters.com

Lighting for a refugium

printerdown01

printerdown01

Background: I'm looking at either A) setting up another nano (7 gallons) or B) adding another 32W CSL and a refugium to my existing tank...

My question to you guys is what type of lighting do you guys use on your refugium? - I was thinking about using some sort of plant lighting (since it is supposed to encurage plant growth)????? Another qestion is, if I am on the right track, is it possible to purchase a small light from a hardware store that will do the job? -as opposed to having to pay for expenisive fish tank lights?? What do you think?? -ANY AND ALL OPINIONS WELCOME HERE!!! -I'M LOOKING FOR IDEAS....   oh oh by the way i'm looking at using a tiny hex for the refugium... it looks really cool!

second2n0ne

I'm using a 13watt 50/50 on my converted sump...I picked it up for less than $40 including shipping from AHsupply.com.  It seems to be ok but my sump is deep and the Macro Algae that is lower in the refugium does not look as healthy as the MA at the bottom.  HTH!

printerdown01

Thanks guys! $18 + S&H sounds a lot better than 40 (especially when it is going into a refugium :) ). A good idea though to go with the 13W... any other suggestions?

check out these lights,  they are 27w 6500 k and put out 1750 lumens and they are only 12 bucks. sounds too good to be true but its not. i am running one on my 2 gallon with 13w actinic and it looks real nice.  it would work really well for a refugium also.  heres the link http://www.efi.org/products/lighting/cflsprin.html  only the 27w is 6500k

second2n0ne

Does the $18 13watt from Hellolight include a ballast?  I guess it is still better than what I paid for!  IMO, If I were to do it all over, I would opt for a higher wattage light.  

Archived