Coral Vue Hydros

What exactly is a top off/auto top off?

Chineseghoststory

Chineseghoststory

This is just one of those things i hear about around here once in a while but no one seems to go into a lot of detail about just what they are. I know what the act of "topping off" a tank is, which is the replacement of small amounts of evaporated water, usually between water changes. But I get the drift there are some reefers here who use-or who have even built their own float-valve-activated top-off systems. I am only guessing that if these actually exist that they automatically fill the tank with small amounts of needed water from a pre-mixed resevoir.

So do they exist? How would one make one of them? Can they be bought? Where can they be bought? Is it detrimental to the water in the resevoir to sit there mostly unused for a few days? I've heard that mixed salt warer goes bad afdter sitting there for a few days. Can someone show theirs off or draw a simple schematic for me?

thanks,

Jeff

If you are looking for info on top offs you should do a search before someone flames you and you are not going to top off with mixed water anyways. Only the water evaporates the salt stays in your tank.

Jeff,

Just ordered one myself from Physh1 - you can definitely buy them on the Internet, but you'll pay much more. You'll pay about $28 (including shipping) for one of Physh1's.

Good luck...

Yup...I do make them to help support my addiction to reefs:). Mine are sensative to around 1/4" of evaporation and will trigger a pump to pump fw to your tank from a resevoir to keep you water levels in check on a constant basis. What this does simply is take a load off your shoulders and by the water level never really chaging your salinity stays very stable.

You can also add some alk buffer to the makeup water and use it as a partial doser.

You can make them yourself, you can buy them from lots of places, and you can get plans off the net.

They are very nice and handy to have.....Cameron

• 3 weeks later...

are the top offs from physh1 capable of operating over a vacation period

I am a college student and this would be very helpful

is there any chance of the pump to keep pumping and causing a small flood?

The time span would all depend on how large your makeup water container was. I have a 20 gallon makeup tank on my 150 gallon system and that lasts around 3 weeks. My 3.5 gallon makeup tank on my 7 gallon bow lasts around 1.5 weeks.

The only times a switch has malfunctioned was when too large of a pump was used. This will seize the switch contacts leaving the switch in an "ON" position.

Cameron

Temecula Reefer

If I put the top-off container on a shelf above my refug. .... when the pump shuts off will it continue a siphon effect and continue filling???

Yes, it will. The freshwater makeup reservoir has to be below the filling point or else it will continue to siphon after the switch shuts off. Gravity kills:P

Cameron

Archived