inTank Media Baskets

Minijet 606--No real diff. from stock?

Mummer

Swapped out the stock pump in my 12 gallon DX tonight for a minijet 606. To me, it doesn't seem like it is moving any more water than the stock pump was. Might there be a problem, or is the increased flow not really obvious? It is set to max flow and all connections are good and tight.

According to the JBJ web site, the stock pump in the 12G DX is 106gph. According to marinedepot, the MJ606 ranges from 79-153gph. 50gph different should be noticeable if you put your hand in front of the outlet.

Is the flange/duckbill still in place? The resulting spread of water might make it a little harder to notice...

stoney waters

There are several advantages the mini-jets have over stock pumps. They are quieter, more powerful, generate less heat and the cord is thinner, making it less likely to get pinched when closing the hood. Also, by removing the small yellow gate valve from the impeller cap will substancialy increase the flow from the mini-jet.

The Hydor Flo is a good alternative to the stock duckbill. It will give a good osculating current and is less likely to restrict the flow from your pumps.

I run two 606's in my tank and it runs cooler now than when I had the one stock pump in there. But I don't see a real diff in flow. I'm switching out to a 909 or an Aquaglobe.

I have also heard that if you take the "adjuster" off your 606 that it increases your flow to over 200 GPH. Maybe I'll try that first, but I'd really like a pump that pumps 300 GPH so I can split it and have decent flow out of each.

Archived