Pod Your Reef

Nano 12 DX CRACKED!

vthondaboi

It just cracked. No rocks against the glass and etc.

Luckily only about 2 gallons got out before I got home.

I wonder how much it costs to ship it back and forth for warranty purposes. Thinking about just junking it and keeping the hood for a regular glass nano.

Opinions?

Just wondering about these cracked NC have they been ones that have had mods done to them or are they stock right out of the box.

Also where they NC's ordered online and shipped or bought at a LFS. Just trying to narrow down the problems that I have been reading on the forum and see if there is a pattern.

vthondaboi -

If your tank was cycling and the water leaked on carpeting, your carpet is going to smell like someone spilled 2 gallons of milk in there within a couple of days. PetSmart sells a product called "Petzyme" for cleaning up "puppy stains" - protein stains. It's an enzyme / bacteria that eats the protein causing the stink. Clean your carpet as best you can, then RESATURATE the area that got wet with Petzyme and let it air dry. Don't suck it back out with a carpet cleaner. Just soak it and let it dry by itself. Within a day or so the stink will go away.

Chris from nanocustoms did some analysis on thermal stress between the glass and the ABS trim around the tanks you might want to look at. Can you describe where your tank cracked for us? Can you also let us know what the conditions in your house were - room temperature? (a guess would be fine) And, if you know what your water temp was around the time of the failure.

==================================================

snommisbor -

Details on my failure.

Bought my Cube at LFS.

Mods - cassette skimmer, fishbowl innovations moonlights, chamber 1 cover, chamber 2 LED Fuge Light cover, replaced stock powerhead with MaxiJet 1200, replaced stock flow director with modified Hydor-Flo wavemaker. I did not make any modifications to the tank itself. No holes drilled, nothing cut. I just added items to the tank.

==================================================

If you were standing in front of my tank, my tank cracked on the right side, from the front top corner to the front bottom corner. Not a straight line crack. Curved, with the crest of the bow pointing towards the back of the tank. A roughly 1.5" x 0.25" shard of glass was expelled from the wall of the tank as well.

Room temp - between 87 - 90 degrees F

Water temp - 83 degrees F

vthondaboi

When my 12DX cracked back in April, JBJ did not ask me to return the old tank to them... they just sent me a new one at their expense. All they required was a copy of my receipt and a picture of the cracked tank. I think they may only be making good on cracks that occur in the vicinity of the glass bends.

I have the new tank in my closet now... not sure I want to risk setting it up. I have been inspecting the glass with a magnifying glass, and I cannot see even small cracks. I will probably water test it sometime soon.

-Rick-

Archived