Top Shelf Aquatics

The 'Ashburn' Mod

Cholesterol

Cholesterol

My NC24 is sitting on my front step waiting to be chopped up (after leak test, of course), and I was wondering what the consensus is of Ashburn's modification:

9339KN1K4976.jpg

If I'm doing 2 return pumps - 1 in chamber 1 and 1 in chamber 3 - a center overflow seems to make a lot of sense. I'm planning on drilling a hole for a bulkhead where the intake grate is, leaving the stock hole as it is, and running the 2 pumps on a wavemaker. I'm going for a more stock look, so I probably won't use any loc-line, but other than that I think it's a great solution to more turbulent flow in the cube.

Any thoughts? I'd ask Ashburn, but haven't seen him online in a while. if you're lurking, speak up! I really like what you've done.

C

deadmanh:

I agree it looks like a waterfall. Actually all three chambers look very low. The transition from chamber 2 to 3 also has a waterfall. That being said I like the looks of the mod, it's very inventive.

The other question I had for ashburn. What happens if the water level drops below the overflow?

Bob

Cholesterol:

nanobob is right, that overflow does make waterfall, and thrus make bubbles, but no bubles produced from chamber 1 output. so i will have to remod my chamber 3, block the water flow from chamber 2 to 3 at the top and make another opening at the bottom to kill the bubbles.

noted, chamber 2 is filled with LR pieces, which is a great filteration. filled with cheatos on top.

no noise at all, i raised the water level to match the water output from chamber 2 to 3, but there's bubbles :/

the water flow will never drop blow the overflow, since the pump keeps on pumping out the water. if water level is actually LOW, there'd be no water in the back for the pumpers to push out :) but situration like this wont happen since i have an ATO on the cube.

Originally posted by NanoBob

deadmanh:

I agree it looks like a waterfall.  Actually all three chambers look very low.  The transition from chamber 2 to 3 also has a waterfall.  That being said I like the looks of the mod, it's very inventive.  

The other question I had for ashburn.  What happens if the water level drops below the overflow?

Bob

Archived