Pod Your Reef

Quick light cover mod for 2004 24g DX

LVReefer

Well after waiting for several months for the 2005 24g DX I went and bought a 2004 version. Wouldn't you know it, they came out the following week :rant:. Anyways one of things I like on the 2005 is the full light cover. So I figured I would make one for my '04 model. A couple of dollars and an hour latter this is what I came up with. The sole purpose of this was to better my light cooling, not to add a refug light.

14706FullCoverMod1-med.jpg

By removing the plastic cover where the back two screws are I screwed in the new plexiglass and thats it. If all goes well I plan on opening up the rest of the original light cover(back portion where the fans are)for better air circulation.

Well after one day of trials I must admit defeat. Mdt128 you called it. My temp went up an additional degree. It seems weird to me that the 2005 models are designed in a simular manner. I must be missing something. Fans blowing in, different heat plate or something that has an inpact on air flow. Well if someone that owns a '05 could shed some light on this I would appreciate it.

The issue is with the lack of circulation of the air-gap.

I'm not sure you want to do "extreme" DIY like I did, but my rear vent/fan mod is able to counter MH heating so it will easily cool your scenario.

I agree. Tonight I am going to flip the fans and have them pull air in and hopefully it will exhaust most of the air out and not down into the tank.

Archived