Coral Vue Hydros

4-month-old NC24

mdt178

Time for some updated pics. Tank started in February: 24G NC, 70MH + 72PC, dual MJ1200 on wavemaker + Rio HF8 + Tunze mini-PH behind rocks, first chamber converted to fuge with underwater light.

SPS

10448SPS.jpg

tubs blue zoas

10448tubs_zoas_opened_24-7.jpg

red and yellow blastos

10448red_and_yellow.jpg

ORA clam

10448ORA_clam_closeup.jpg

more zoas

10448more_zoas.jpg

lots of zoas

10448lotsa_zoas.jpg

yoru tank is very ugly and boring! ill pay for shipping it to me :)

:)

honestly yoru livestock group is as nice as ive seen on nano-reef.

thanks for sharing

mdt, I don't know who you are, but you have some serious :bling: for all that high-end coral! You probably have more store credit that Wave Guy :D

Thanks for all the comments guys. As a matter of fact, I have not spent more than $100 on any coral. The purple acan lord was $100 for 2 polyps, blastos were around $50/colony, SPS $10-50, all zoas were under $40, except for tubs blues and the gold zoas.

I have more pics in my gallery. Thanks for looking.

As an aside (sorry for the hijacking), I notice you have some bumblebee snails. You know they're whelks and hunt small snails? If you notice that snails are dying and/or not spawning, that's the cause. Only found that out myself in the last month ;)

Thanks for the heads up re the bb. Yeah, they a bunch of lazy bums. not doing much but hide in the rocks all day, but I can't toss them to the mantis tank. My other cerith snails are dying off, but I was blaming the hermit till now.

Them $20 corals don't cost much, but boy they add up really fast. Nice thing about a nano is that you can fill it up with cheaper frags. In a bigger tank, they'd just get lost.

Damn nice tank. How are the SPS growing under that 70w MH? What bulbs are you using? When I looked in your gallery the LR was only about 1/2 way up the back. Is it still at that hight, or higher? What temp is that thing running at? Do those hard drive coolers work? Sorry for all of the questions but its hard to find someone with a 24g cube and the MH mod. The 12g's look awesome so I'm glad to see someone with a 24g that's done it.

I read that artarmon42!! Wait till my updated shots come. And mine is only a 12G.:)

But I got to say! That is one killer looking 24G tank you have there. Nice choice of corals and colors.

I have had my bumble bees snails for some time and no issues. I read there are two different species and I think your speaking of the other ones.

Nice job! How bout a full tank frontal shot? Do you have a bigger tank that you took frags from? Or did you buy those frags separately just for the 24?

Cholesterol

Stunning tank. You should be very proud!

Mdt, could you go over your equipment/plumbing setup? my tank is scheduled to be on my doorstop today, and I'm still finalizing how I'm going to plumb. I was thinking of 2 MJ1200's on a wavemaker, too - 1 in chamber 1, 1 in chamber 3, with a bulkhead drilled right below the intake grate.

Which Tunze PH did you use, and how is it set up/pointed? I've got a 6100 stream on my big tank and love it.

Thanks much,

Chris

Thanks for the comments again guys.

picture: taking and posting with my crappy camera is a chore for sure, but I'll get you a front shot.

bulb: 10K Ushio, I have a 14K Aqualine, but haven't used it yet

rock: I've put in more, the back has a peak where I have some montipora, a superman wannabe and some rainbow wannabe. It's hard to take pictures of those.

temp & fans: temp now pushing 84 (ambient 73-75), fans work but a bit noisy at 12V. I can live with their noise at 7V however. Simply no room for a chiller in the stand with the auto-topoff already in.

I don't have a bigger tank, only a smaller 18T that holds 2 clowns, a mantis and a pistol shrimp, some basic corals with macro algea.

Tank setup: started in February: 24G NC, 70MH + 72PC, dual MJ1200 on wavemaker + Rio HF8 + Tunze mini-PH behind rocks, first chamber converted to fuge with underwater light.

The Tunze is called Universal Pump mini 5024

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/m...ode=Tunze_pumps

Minh

No prob LVreefer,

I'm in Fresno, CA where it can hit +100 degree in the summer. Imagine it'd be the same in Vegas. Re your question about SPS and the 70W MH: from what I've seen, the MH could sustain some growth and colors for SPS, but the height/spread and the design of the reflector really limited your options. It is at best a "spotlight" effect for a few corals directly underneath the bulb, the ones with lower light requirement were placed high in the back to received light from the stock PC. Nevertheless, good flow and stable water condition could offset the MH limitation.

Originally posted by Travis

FTS?

tomorrow, i promise.

burtbollinger

Can you give some details on the Tunze mini pump...it looked cool, so I ordered one...

In my 24, I've got the stock pump, a then a little powersweep, I'm thinking with the addtion of this mini Tunze, I'll have some nice movement....I'm thinking I'll mount it on the right side of the tank, several inches below where the stock return valve lies?

I needed a tiny pump to place behind the rocks, since I believe there are a few dead spot. Even with the Rio HF (550gph) + MJ1200 (295 gph) it was not enough.

I believe with more opened rockwork, you won't need as much flow as I do. I have loc-line all over, and I admit to not cleaning the pumps all that often, so I don't get all the spec'ed gph.

burt, i'd see if I can hide as much hardware as I could to have as clean a display area as possible. Perhaps you can drill the plastic wall and put a pump in the sump area?

Archived