Coral Vue Hydros

[STOCK] MadTownMax

MadTownMax

tnx oogie - hopefully I'll find some other interesting pieces to help fill it in a little - I thought there would be a lot more flow, so I'm reconsidering what types of corals to start with :rolleyes:

I like this little guy - I've seen some older ones and know that they get about 1.5-2" - which I think will be a great size for this tank, while the Clav's will give him adequate cover :

10204What_do_you_think_I_am.jpg

Just to let you know, my roomate has one in his 12g cube and if you ahve ANY kind of small SPS frags (acro, monti, etc) they (green goby) will absolutely murder them by hosting in them. If you had a huge head of acro it might live but id imagine he would could comletely kill anything small enough to fit in a nc6.. My advice, get him out while you still can, i still have been able to catch the little ###### short of breaking down the tank.

Originally posted by victoly

Just to let you know, my roomate has one in his 12g cube and if you ahve ANY kind of small SPS frags (acro, monti, etc) they (green goby) will absolutely murder them by hosting in them.

Thanks for the advice - FWIW, if you didn't notice, I don't have any SPS frags in there, although I will probably be adding a montipora or two - I have never heard of a clown goby killing a montipora before - although they do eat acropora. They also eat small crustaceans ('pods), and I supplement this with finely chopped shrimp, mysis, and cyclops-eeze. As it stands now, his little stomach is bulging even when I don't feed for a few days, so I think he is feeding quite well on all of the live food in the tank already.

I transferred this fish from my JBJ 24DX which had 5 different montiporas, and I never had a problem with this fish touching a single polyp in that tank - in fact I saw it perching on those corals quite often and had the best coral growth rates that I have ever had - not a spot of RTN that would be indicative of the gobidon feeding on the corals themselves.

The discription from wetwebmedia.com:

must mention these tiny chubsters; they've got to be close to the best fishes for reef and "mixed" aquariums. Though only attaining a miniscule 2 1/2 inches, Gobiodon are huge on color and spunky personality. Due to their noxious body slime no other fish bothers them, and they're happy as proverbial clams with some Acropora coral to live and feed on or their skeleton and a little live meaty food. Coral gobies should only be housed with non-aggressive feeders such as Cardinals, Seahorses and Pipefishes.

-cheers ;)

update:

FWIW - I've pretty much stopped feeding the tank - if you notice some white flecks on the first full-tank shot, there are tons of 'pods that the clown goby feeds on all day - until I see their population to go down a bit, I'm going to hold off on the feeding to avoid any algae blooms.

uh oh... is that a clam under stock 18w PC?

also, were you trying to attach more pics? I only see the first one

The clam in the pic is still doing OK IMO. But keep an eye on it. Mantle overextending (reaching out for light), gaping mouth and loss of colors are bad signs to watch out for.

BTW, nice tank. I'd replace that big ol Mag Float with a Super Nimble.

It's a clown goby - there are those, and then small yellow ones - although the yellow ones (from what I have gathered online) seem to like eating acropora polyps, so I went for this little guy - he's fun to watch for sure :D

The clam is getting some new shell growth now, after a month - I've started dosing DT's, but not on any fixed schedule (I gave a capfull before I left town for two weeks - now I'm back, and dropped in another capfull ;) )

It was quite nice to leave for two weeks and have everything look better when I came back - I didn't even have to top-off at all.

I'll see if I can get some updated pictures sometime soon, but I'm busy building a stand for my new 65-gallon, so I don't know how much time I'll have to snap some pics... :rolleyes:

I've been running this tank on a reverse photo period due to the hot temperatures here and the fact that we don't have any type of AC downstairs - seems to be doing fine though.

-Nick

Originally posted by mdt178

I'd replace that big ol Mag Float with a Super Nimble.

I don't think I can replace the mag cleaner - I wish I could, I'm in the stock competition, and the mag-float comes with the tank :(

Orange Crush

You're allowed to use a different magnet. The magnet's not really part of the tank, and has no real effect on your inhabitants, other than scrapping some algae into the water now and again...

You could always just take it out between cleanings.

LOL - wow, now I feel pretty lame - but that's good to know - that mag cleaner is so weak I really don't use it anyway - I've just been scraping it by hand :D

Thanks for the info Crush

• 1 month later...

hopefully a nimble is in the works - I took some new shots about 2 weeks ago, and I've also transplanted some discosoma mushrooms from my other tank to fill in where the clam was...

Archived