Premium Aquatics Aquarium Supplies

thoughts on the nc6?

DriedMango

im looking into buying the nano cube 6 and for people who have the nc6 i would like to hear your opinions about it.

also has anyone bought the nc6 2.18 from nanocustoms? and your thoughts about the 2.18.

thanks for your time.

It's cool looking. Reefs are difficult to maintain on that scale, but if you don't over stock and keep up with maintence you'll have a nice tank...

Have you looked at the nano-cube 6 contest going on right now? It has it's own forum. You could look at what people have done with their tanks ...

Mango,

I have the 3.18 and really like it. Lots of light, and a second pumop for increased flow. Nanocustoms work is excellent, you will not be disappointed.

Keith

i saw the contest page and thats what got me interested.

im just hesitant to buy one since ive been reading that peoples tanks have been breaking. Chris from nano customs said that he would warrante the cube for 30 days.

so ill prolly place an order for the 2.18.

My gripes:

The whole thing feels cheap.

Expanding it will be a pain in the butt for someone that doesn't have DIY skills.

The back compartments are horribly designed and only function correctly if the water level is just about the bottom of the top grate.

However, if you do choose to go with the nc6, Chris (ccjung) is definately the guy you should be talking to.

-jmt

just to clarify-

"im just hesitant to buy one since ive been reading that peoples tanks have been breaking. Chris from nano customs said that he would warrante the cube for 30 days. "

To clarify, Labor is warranted for 6 months. Parts are warranted by me (no questions asked) 30 days, and then by the original manufacturer 6mos - 2 YEARS depending on the component.

Ultimately, in each case (T5 going out, broken cube, etc) I take care of the customer first, then settle it with the manufacturer.

Thanks for your kind words

Chris

Dave - the fan noise is increased, but can be decreased with the use of a variable voltage AC adapter or a lower rated AC adapter.

I run my systems at rated power (12v) because i want to be sure every cube leaves here "idiot proof" (pardon the term). Some experimentation/additional mods are always part of the fun, and the daring hobbyist can tinker away, trying to improve the product or customize it to your tastes.

Chris

I love my Nano Cube 6 which I've had about 2.5 months. I have it in my office at work and it gets lots of compliments. Lighting is stock and I have a variety of coral growing (mushrooms, hammer, zoos, leather, and a few others). I cannot hear the fans over the air conditioning at work so noise is basicaly non-existent. As for flow, I installed a power head in the middle compartment towards the top and put a spinner on it. This creates a great deal of variable flow patterns and there are no dead spots in the tank. The tank is thriving with coral fully extending, zero algae issues, and not one death of my hermits. Water is pristine and coraline is growing everywhere. I have the spinner on a timmer for 4 hours on and 4 hours off. I like how the look of the tank changes from an extremely turbulent environment to calmness. I have a sexy shrimp, 5 hermits, and 1 snail. No fish yet. Water changes are a breeze. Twice a week, I take a big cup and pour two big glasses out in the sink. This equals to 1 gallon per week. I have hardly any evaporation and perhaps put 1 cup of fresh water every 7-8 days. For hot weekends, when the air conditioning goes off, I set up a little clip-on fan pointed at the tank and it keep the water temp in check. Overall, this is the perfect office tank. It doesn't look like a science project, you can hide your water changes by carrying the water in a large glass. I have a 100g at home and I spend way more time carrying for that.

bill_m3 - You should post some pictures of your nc6,

it might help encourage get more people to start one.

I have my nc6 at work also, and I like the clean lines.

For the price I think the quality is great,

much higher quality than the ALIFE 7 tank I had running

in my office for 3 years.

You can check out my thread in the contest forum.

Rick

I have a nc6 and the only problem im having is heat issues. I was wondering about yalls temps? Mine will not get below 82.. i have a clip on fan pointing at it already. Any suggestions?

My only issue has also been heat. But if I leave the feeding lid open for much of the day the temp stays below 82. My room ambient is around 77-78. Overall I am very pleased with the look and action of the tank.

I thought it was just all the lights I added that made my nc6 run hot.

My tank starts out at 80 in the morning and consistently peaks at 82 by the afternoon.

The good news is I don’t have much evaporation to speak of, about one cup per week.

I have my heater set for 80 and I only run my second pump after the lights are out.

I don’t ever leave the top open; it just doesn’t look cool that way.

Actually 82 is an acceptable temp as far as I’m concerned.

Cool thanks folks. Yeah ive been looking into fans. Well i guess its cool, i was just wondering about when i get fish in that little booger.

I have the heat issues too...

Any suggestions for upgraded fans to use? Also, it seems that if we were to pull the ballast out of the top and make it external that would help alot too.. Has anybody done this or tried it?

Originally posted by rjg

I have the heat issues too...

Any suggestions for upgraded fans to use?  Also, it seems that if we were to pull the ballast out of the top and make it external that would help alot too..  Has anybody done this or tried it?

Robert,

The electronic ballasts don’t put out much heat,

No where near the heat the old tar ballasts used create.

If you upgrade the fans be prepared for more noise.

I have both external ballasts & upgraded fans on my nc6.

That might be one of the reasons my temps are fairly stable.

You got it going on with the initials.

Rick

Archived