ReefCleaners.org

New tank questions need help!

Djm9288

HI, today i setup my tank and it has been over 10 hours and my water has a very cloudy appearence. what could this be and how do you solve it?

There are also tiny bubbles pn everything. what are they from?

How can i get rid of them.

Daniel

SaltyMember

The tiny bubbles are just oxygen bubbles from pouring water into your tank.  Most of them will go away with circulation, but I wipe them off.  

After just setting up my 7 gal Minibow this past weekend I know why your tank is cloudy......the sand!  It took my tank until today to clear up and for all the sand to settle.  I ran my Aquaclear Mini in the tank with floss and changed it every few hours to help get the cloudiness out.  What type of tank did you set up?  What equipment are you using...I am just curious...good luck.

Thanks

I have a 10 gallon, with a 50watt proquatics heater. A aquaclear mini, and 20 lbs of arag-alive sand.

I plan on getting 15 lbs of LR. A powerhead, 2 ocellaris clowns, and a clown goby and a clean up crew. and eventually once i master my aquarium some corals.

Would you reccommend me get a skimmer?

Please leave suggestions

Daniel

SaltyMember

Thanks for posting your specs.......nice equipment.  I am new to nanos myself, but after researching the consensus on skimmers for nanos seems to be NO SKIMMER.  Your weekly partial water changes will be all that you need.

right now i have a 15 watt NO strip light, But i have ordred a 2x 13 watt power compact retrofitting kit from A&H supply.

As for bulbs, from them i also bought 2 bulbs that are half 10k half actinic.

Daniel

could it be my innsufficient lighting, because i can see clealry when the  lights are out.

Daniel

put a floss pad in the filter. and get a powerhead. circulation helps the sand settle down fast and the floss pad will pick up the small sand particles. the sand is LS?

reef hugger

the reason it looks cloudier when the lights are on is b/c the light is reflecting off of the sand particles that are floating in the water. give it some more time to settle.

IMO, i would use a skimmer with your planned bio load.

Yes that is Live Sand.

In about 2 months i will get a prizm skimmer.

Daniel

Archived