Cultivated Reef

Nano Cubes Suck!

sNEIRBO

sandbunkerblues

This is just great,had my 12 dx running since Jan.Good thing I also have a 55 gal and a 29 gal.reef tank as well.whew.....hope my nano holds up.Reading all of these break threads has me worried.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sandbunkerblues....obviously, there are going to be a lot of tanks out there that hold up in the long run. HOWEVER, I think it would behoove people NOT to include inspection of the seamless corners with their weekly tank maintenance. I would recommend that you pay particular attention to the areas near the frame. Cracks can occur behind the frame and then extend. Run a finger on the inside. My fracture line is smooth on the outside but has a small stepoff on the inside. SH

PS....unless your tank is seriously listing to one side, I think we can put the 'level the tank issues' aside for now with regards to this thread. SH

Originally posted by embryoguy

after reading this thread a few times, it seems the best guarantee with the NC, is to buy it from nanocustoms! hehe

I think embryo is commenting here on Chris' EXCELLENT customer service, and not anything else. Although my 24 is still in one piece(for now!), I'm extremely grateful I bought it from him. Look at what he does for people that didn't buy from him!

Rob

There is no doubt that Chris is outstanding in both his service and concern. One way we can repay him is to continue to visit his site and utilize his products and services. SH

• 4 weeks later...
Lib-B-Glass

I stumbled on this thread while looking into the crack issue further. All of this has happened in a little over a month?

sNEIRBO reported this crack/explosion on 6/11

then steelhealr reported his cracked tank on 6/18

Since then almost 30 reported cracks on sNEIRBO's Poll Thread?

WOW! Time flies, huh?

Well Lib..there is no tough explanation about that. sNEIRBO's post brought people's attention to their cubes out of fear of a catastrophic event. BTW...the month of June made it about 3 months out for me, so, my tank was maturing and needed much less algae/diatom scraping. The crack on my tank is a hairline with an inner step off.

In addition, the 24G was just recently released in the winter/spring. I wouldn't press too much into the timing. JMO. SH

I am in the dark on a statement made in this thread that JBJ does not have any input on the manufacture of the NC that they just move em from china to the coast etc.......Who designed it, who laid out the specs for it, who does the Quality Control checks on them, surely someone somewhere is checking a couple of them as they come down the assembly line. I have always thought JBJ was the designer and controlled manuf of the cubes, be it in the USA or offshore........companies ship virtually everything that hits americas shores by container ship and freight trucks and then UPS or some other delivery service. Tons of glass is shipped every day using these methods.....and I still do not buy it that the cubes problems lie predominately with shipping as the cause......

Chipmaker..I have bad news for you. JBJ, from what I hear, is a small company and receives the tanks on palettes from China. I believe they repackage and then redistribute the tanks. I don't believe they have any input or control over quality issues as the tanks 'come off the line'......or do they? SH

So then JBJ did not design nor contract with offshore company in China to produce it for them.......So what really needs to be done is track down who designed the thing and holds the patent / manufacturing rights on it, and start bugging them to make changes. If JBJ is sole importer of this setup, I would have to think they have their fingers in the input at the factory somewhere along the line, or else there would be more than just them jockeying these tanks under their brands as well. Its done all so often with import machine tools, same tool, same everything but name, and perhaps color, but sold by 2 dozen different machine tool companies.........But there is still only one NANO cube out there and it only carries JBJ's name on it....and only JBJ is associated with any NANO's..

Archived