Innovative Marine Aquariums

Trying to decide how to stack rock

BigWill

I have about 150 lbs of live rock to use (im doing a huge downgrade from a 90) and am trying to decide how much and how to stack my rock.

Could you guys post some pics of your tanks so I can get a better idea on how I might want it?

i go for a natural look...i like to make natural curves where you can't tell where one rock touches the other....i also like having a lot of wide open caves..

Well here it is so far, what do you guys think?

I still gotta add corals and all that stuff. The only ones on there are ones that were stuck to the rocks.

you know i've thought about the same thing. i would take all the small pieces of rock you have from your previous tank and stack them more in the center like rbaby's tank.

Originally posted by Genin

you know i've thought about the same thing. i would take all the small pieces of rock you have from your previous tank and stack them more in the center like rbaby's tank.

Those are the smallest ones I have lol

I didn't want to breka them apart as I don't think it would look good with rough edges.

Is it ok to stack rock flat on the ground? I could maybe lay that big one flat and lay the rest on top of it.

Definitely do NOT stack the rock so it touches or rests on any of the side or front glass. You do not want anything putting stress on the glass on these Nano Cubes.

yellowbird53
Originally posted by rbonin

Definitely do NOT stack the rock so it touches or rests on any of the side or front glass.  You do not want anything putting stress on the glass on these Nano Cubes.

JBJ'sa are notorious for crqacking very easy, so IMO, do not place any rock against sides, except back wall, at all.

I love the Atoll idea, like Steelhealr's. Mine is much the same, but more mountainous, with lots of crevaces, caves and tuck aways for hiding, creeping and sleeping. My only cam at this point is my treo, so my pics lack, but here is are clickable thumbnail shots of mine so far. Side Shot:

th_Picture091_26Apr05.jpg

and another (Full Tank Shot):

th_Picture176_12Jun05.jpg

Sorry re: quality.

Just either use a joining product for stability,as snails, flow, etc, can easily disrupt. Make sure you take the time to get good connections when stacking, trying to 'lock' adjoining pieces.

Namaste

Archived