ReefCleaners.org

gramma or dottyback?

gobygirl3

I want to get a new fish for my 12g.I like the royal gramma and the orchid dottyback and cant decide which one to get.Which is the best fish in terms of personality and longevity? I dont want one that will hide all day.

i wouldnt get any of them. I have a half n half pseudochromis (?) its half pink and yellow, and its quite sickly in color to tell the truth. But hey thats my opinion, If i were u id go with the dottyback, the royal gramma can grow to be a reasonable size, with two clowns in already, youll want the smallest i think.

I would go with grammas, dottybacks are notorious scrappes and well known for terrorizing other fish and snacking on inverts.

I had a bicolor, he ate 3 peppermint shrips, killed 2 astrea snails, and terrorized my new clownfish compleatly, so i finally just pulled him out of there.

I no longer have the clowns I gave them to a fellow aquarist because they were killing my corals with love.One of you say gramma, and one days dottyback.I am leaning toward the gramma.

I've got a 24G tank that has a royal in with a yellow tail damsel and two clowns. this seems to be a god mix.

We've got some rocks glued to the back wall of the tank and the royal will swim with it's belly towards the nearest rock always. It hide for about a month but is now out and active all the time.

Drew

I also vote for the gramma, they have a realy good personanlity. they realy get 'cool' when they get used to the tank. They will swim upsidedown and sideways some times :D

New2NanoReefs

I hope I didn't revive this topic, but I just want to add my two cents...

I would go with the gramma because I just got one and he/she has the coolest personality. I have been reading about them and people say that they are pretty shy, but mine is out all the time, I think that is due to the fact that he/she is the only fish in the tank. Definately a good beginners fish, mine eats anything.

I want the gramma but someone said one killed their cleaner shrimp.I got rid of a six liner because of just that reason 5 months ago.

Originally posted by gobygirl3

I want the gramma but someone said one killed their cleaner shrimp.I got rid of a six liner because of just that reason 5 months ago.

I have never heard of a Royal Gramma or a 6-Line Wrasse killing a cleaner shrimp. My 6-Line and my Blackcap Basslet,(the Royal

Grammas brother), have been in my tank for over a year with my cleaner shrimp and no problems at all.

???

Bob

my wrasse didnt kill my shrimp but he constantly harrassed him and wouldnt let him eat, would steal anything I gave the shrimp right from its mouth.That is why i took the wrasse back.

Archived