Innovative Marine Aquariums

nautilus in home aquarium?

jstone624

Yup. It's ALWAYS a good practice to research everything before you take it out of the ocean--it's our implied responsibility. Thanks to everyone else who does the same.

And, by the way, I got a personal response from Waikiki Aquarium. If you ever have questions, especially about animals which don't have much of a record in captivity, or which are otherwise hard to find info on husbandry, email any public aquarium--especially the larger ones--and they'll surely be happy to help you with their experience and expertise, which goes beyond that of most hobbyists (simply because they have the combined knowledge from experience and formal education, as well as the means to obtain large systems, expensive equipment, and rare creatures).

Caesar...maybe hardy was not the best term. When kept in a chilled, large, almost dark tank...they do well. Definitly NOT for the home aquarium. I have seen them adapt to situations I was skeptic of.

Now the question is are they thriving or just surviving. Like Yoshiod

says in his signiture," how do we know if fish are happy?"

You are correct in researching animals before buying or catching.

That is our responsibility.

Giant floating snails...thats funny! Your right.

But man if you have ever seen them feed....way cool.

...in a nano of cousre not...not for long anyway.

I thought the question was "in a home aquaium".

I have seen and serviced 400 gal+ systems in private residences.

With proper conditions, it IS possible to house Nautilus Pompilius, although personally I wouldn't. Nor would I recomend it.

I have seen people keep sharks (not nurse,bamboo or zebras...

baby white tips and lemons or large smoothhounds and leopards,

in tanks too small or soon to be too small,which I am totally against. When I had my fish store,I refused to sell

certain animals to people I knew had improper environments for that animal. We defintly have larger responsibilities than just turning a buck.

i have crabs

The Chambered Nautilus can be seen at Sea World in San Diego and at the Long Beach Aquarium. I suggest visiting these places instead of investing in a specialized tank. I have watched countless videos on these things and have visited the above facilites where they can be seen. I must say they are amazing! I was extremly ####ed at my LFS when I saw one on sale for $100. I would be surprised if they ever had another one there after the crap I gave them.

It is amazing how the nautilus being a less then well know animal (in terms of exact care paramaters) that requires such a great deal unique care can have a "reachable" price of only $100. IMO, I think any animal that requires special care of any kind should my either sold exclusivly to researchers or ppl. with the "means" of keeping such animals. I have seen sites that sell nurse sharks and the like and can only imagine the environments these animals are subject to, being available over the internet.

Yup... You can also find "cute" baby alligators that grow to ten feet long for $25-50, baby tiger cubs for a G or two, and all kinds of primates. All you need is some money--and not much more than it takes for a couple of high-end corals. Pretty sad--some animals do great in captivity, but many just can NOT. Really sad.

• 15 years later...
cpotter919@gmail.com

Actually, creating a pressurized tank is rather simple. Create a six-sided thick-walled tank (which includes an access port on the top of the tank , say 14"Ø and add a 16" Ø plate with Handle located on the inside of the tank and a means to secure it when you decide to drop the water column for tank access.), add two long (30'+)large diameter (>1"ID) reinforced flexible tubes drilled and secured to the bottom of the tank that allows both water column to extend up (think second or third floor in a house). One tube is used to draw water from the tank, the other supplies. The water is treated/filtered upstairs while the tank is enjoyed downstairs (this would result in an extremely quiet tank). Now consider, the return to the tank begins as a sump that what ever you throw into it goes down the tube and eventually enters the tank. Throw in the live shrimp, go downstairs and watch as life goes on!

Enjoy!

cpotter919@gmail.com

• 2 months later...
genodesconte

this thread is really funny considering 15 years down the line we now know that they just need a 50 gallon+ and a chiller to be successfully kept in home aquaria.